F5 Turbo Builders Thread - Page 73 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd December 2012, 02:04 AM   #721
anilva is offline anilva  India
diyAudio Member

Default What caps for V3

I am struggling to come to a conclusion on what type and value of the PSU caps I need to use per rail per channel of Turbo v3. I tried the NP suggested 10000uF, 63V caps in CCCCRCCCC for each rail in the V2 variant and I still got hum related to ripple. I am saying that this is ripple related hum because it disappears at lower bias levels. The Toroid I have used for V2 is a 1000VA, 24V at secondaries.

Either my caps are fake or are not upto the quality expected. What is the spec I should look for in terms of ESR and Ripple Current? Is there a minimum value I need to look for? Also any suggestions on the brand and model of the caps which are affordable for a DIYer? I have seen some fancy caps being sold for over $150 per pair, cannot afford that.

I may be asking questions which are asked over a thousand times on this forum, but I am looking for help from a F5T perspective. Also I am not an expert in caps and power supplies. Please bear with my ignorance.

Thanks.
Old 23rd December 2012, 02:58 AM   #722
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Member

With that much capacitance I suspect that you might have fake or very low quality caps.

You don't need to pay exorbitant amounts for caps, but it is nice to know that you are getting genuine parts. Panasonic, Nichicon, Rubycon, Cornell-Dublier all make caps in that value and although not inexpensive, nowhere close to $75 each.

Something else occurred to me - how are your grounds set up? My first F5 was hummmm prone until i adjusted the location of the PSU and speaker ground connections...
Old 23rd December 2012, 03:53 AM   #723
BigE is offline BigE  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioSan View Post
bigE those numbers are correct. exept for the last one. the rail voltage is to low to reach 144W at 8ohm. same for number 2 and as buzzbord said. transformer rating of 3times dissipation is a good way to go. 2 times is minimum. i like 3 times. that gives you more headroom and lower temp in the transformer. but when a transformer reach a certain size, then bigger is not allways better
I can't get 144 Wrms(288 peak) out of a 50 Volt rail? Why not? 50 volts through 8 ohms is just over 6 amps.

6*6*8 = 288..... What am i missing?

buzz,

Thanks for the ESP site reference, I'm going to check it out.
Old 23rd December 2012, 04:06 AM   #724
Rush is offline Rush  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilva View Post
I am struggling to come to a conclusion on what type and value of the PSU caps I need to use per rail per channel of Turbo v3. I tried the NP suggested 10000uF, 63V caps in CCCCRCCCC for each rail in the V2 variant and I still got hum related to ripple. I am saying that this is ripple related hum because it disappears at lower bias levels. The Toroid I have used for V2 is a 1000VA, 24V at secondaries.

Either my caps are fake or are not upto the quality expected. What is the spec I should look for in terms of ESR and Ripple Current? Is there a minimum value I need to look for? Also any suggestions on the brand and model of the caps which are affordable for a DIYer? I have seen some fancy caps being sold for over $150 per pair, cannot afford that.

I may be asking questions which are asked over a thousand times on this forum, but I am looking for help from a F5T perspective. Also I am not an expert in caps and power supplies. Please bear with my ignorance.

Thanks.
I get the lowest ESR, and the highest ripple current of the size and value I find. I use Panasonic from Mouser:

ECE-T1JA273FA Panasonic Electronic Components | Mouser

At $20.48 each, fairly cheap when you figure 27,000 uF at 63 Volts, 6.59 amps ripple current, and ESR: 0.017 ohms.
That would be $7.59 per 10,000 uF.

Rush
Old 23rd December 2012, 04:14 AM   #725
diyAudio Member

BigE.
you will not get 50VAC on the output with 50VDC rails
but you are not far off
Old 23rd December 2012, 05:47 AM   #726
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush View Post
I get the lowest ESR, and the highest ripple current of the size and value I find. I use Panasonic from Mouser:

ECE-T1JA273FA Panasonic Electronic Components | Mouser

At $20.48 each, fairly cheap when you figure 27,000 uF at 63 Volts, 6.59 amps ripple current, and ESR: 0.017 ohms.
That would be $7.59 per 10,000 uF.

Rush
Thanks. Looked at the caps. Seem pretty good. Digikey is cheaper by $5 each. Ordered 16 of them.

Cheers.
Old 23rd December 2012, 06:01 AM   #727
diyAudio Member

you also have Nippon Chemi-Con U32D series. apexJr have some 33.000uF 50V for $4 a pc. ESR:0.0125ohm
ripple current 17.22A. but this is cans. not snap-in.
Old 23rd December 2012, 11:06 AM   #728
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilva View Post

Thanks.
In some cases, the mere fact that the F5 away from other devices may result in loss of humm.

The power grid has several harmonics from various devices used by itself and neighbors, it also influences the humm, and is difficult to alleviate.

I advise the use of a filter Electrical network 30A of Lambda (TDK is now), this filter does wonders throughout the audio system.

I use Lambda MXB-1230-30A 30 where I made a box with outlets
Old 23rd December 2012, 03:12 PM   #729
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blink_PT View Post
In some cases, the mere fact that the F5 away from other devices may result in loss of humm.

The power grid has several harmonics from various devices used by itself and neighbors, it also influences the humm, and is difficult to alleviate.

I advise the use of a filter Electrical network 30A of Lambda (TDK is now), this filter does wonders throughout the audio system.

I use Lambda MXB-1230-30A 30 where I made a box with outlets
Thanks, I will check out the Lambda stuff. I can hear my Toroid making different noises when my water pressure pump keeps going on and off....
Old 23rd December 2012, 03:16 PM   #730
BigE is offline BigE  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioSan View Post
BigE.
you will not get 50VAC on the output with 50VDC rails
but you are not far off
How do you make the adjustment?

Hide this!Advertise here!