F5 Turbo Builders Thread - Page 476 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th June 2017, 09:18 AM   #4751
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

fiddle with P3 will give more results than any fiddle with made of preputium parts
Old Yesterday, 09:40 PM   #4752
Bfpca is offline Bfpca  Canada
diyAudio Member

I've just got my mono block F5t amps wired up and am in the testing phase. I am unable to get past about 230mv of bias using some store bought 74/170. They are the b grade but are at the extreme low end of the range.
I am measuring just less than 6ma of current and am unable to get enough voltage across the 1k/5kpot combination to get past 230mv. The bias is slightly over compensated thermally by the thermistors. It actually goes down a bit as the amp warms up. This may be because I am at the high end of the adjustment range on the 5k pot. which makes the voltage across the 1k more sensitive to changes in the thermistor value.
I am thinking of changing out the 1k for 1.2k. Any other suggestions are welcome.
I am also getting offset drifts of maybe 40mv from cold to hot which seems to be fairly common. This is much trickier to adjust than my Aleph J which locked onto it's bias setting and maintains a low offset as it warms up.

Last edited by Bfpca; Yesterday at 09:43 PM.
Old Yesterday, 10:26 PM   #4753
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bfpca View Post
I am thinking of changing out the 1k for 1.2k. ......
good for start
Old Yesterday, 11:01 PM   #4754
laverda is offline laverda  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I've just got my mono block F5t amps wired up and am in the testing phase. I am unable to get past about 230mv of bias using some store bought 74/170. They are the b grade but are at the extreme low end of the range.
I am measuring just less than 6ma of current and am unable to get enough voltage across the 1k/5kpot combination to get past 230mv. The bias is slightly over compensated thermally by the thermistors. It actually goes down a bit as the amp warms up. This may be because I am at the high end of the adjustment range on the 5k pot. which makes the voltage across the 1k more sensitive to changes in the thermistor value.
I am thinking of changing out the 1k for 1.2k. Any other suggestions are welcome.
I am also getting offset drifts of maybe 40mv from cold to hot which seems to be fairly common. This is much trickier to adjust than my Aleph J which locked onto it's bias setting and maintains a low offset as it warms up.
I had the same and ended up with 2.2k/5k pot as that was all I had knocking around which worked well for me. About 10 turns on the 20 turns pot for 250mv bias.

Offset, you should be able to get within just a few mv, even 0mv for a while. Mine runs less than 5mv after about 30-45mins. I ignore the cold mv reading ...
Old Yesterday, 11:37 PM   #4755
Bfpca is offline Bfpca  Canada
diyAudio Member

After I get the bias up to my intended target of 250mv -(2 amps total) I'll start to adjust for low offset. My chassis are not that large, being 150mm high and 400 deep, but they have 10mm thick sinks with a total depth of 50mm versus 8mm and 40 total for the store chassis. At 225mv -.45amps/fet with a 48v supply the hottest temp I can find with an IR thermometer is 110f. The sinks and transistors are not what I would subjectively call hot after 45 minutes but just warm. I'm thinking .5amps/fet is doable , maybe a little more. I am not using the diodes, I just don't think they are worth the trouble for the loads I am going to drive. With 4 sets of outputs/channel the diodes don't get you much extra output with 4-8ohm speakers.
Old Today, 04:14 AM   #4756
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I get an offset drift of about 400mV from cold to hot. So I still quite don't understand from where it is coming....
Maybe i should change R11 / R12 resistors to some other value... But in which direction to go, more or less?

Hide this!Advertise here!