F5 Turbo Builders Thread

I like space. It helps in tuning, testing and setting. My build uses a smaller toroid, PSU with almost exact board dimensions as TeaBag PSU, and 10" is tight with boards mounted to 6" tall sinks. Its clean and think I have pics a couple pages back. Ill find it.

i lied. Cant find it. Been posted coulpleof times.

Last edited:
Makes sense. I have 7" top to bottom inside. I wounder if I can install my transformer vertically in the front of the box. The things already big whats a few more inches if I make it 20" wide that will give me 12x7x17" inside. I got to get my transformer specs.
Better to big then to tight but what a beast. Hope the wife doesn't blow a gasket. I already have to many toys.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
What's the consensus on minimum transformer for a F5T v2? 24v+24v 600VA?

Using the rule of thumb of 6x the amp's total output into 8ohm, that would fit the bill.

zoe - (which happens to be the name of the dog in my Avatar... :) :) :) ) I agree with buzz, bigger is much more convienent for construction and tuning. But small has it's attractions as well. As usual, everything is a tradeoff.

I have 400VA, but I get very small hum with ear to speaker. I assume its from undersized trafo, as all my other amps are dead silent, but none push the transformer this much.

Zoe,
Just lay it out and see how it all works. The 24V is secondary voltage, which needs to be multiplied by 1.41(1.3 for Class A) to get rail voltage.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Angle bracket for holding transformer vertically. I'm not sure where to get them, as I have pulled them from surplus, but they do exist.

Or just a big piece of angle iron (aluminum)

Drilling a blind hole in the faceplate will not hold up the transformer.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
zoe - to clarify, (which buzz was touching on) do you mean 24v rails or a 24v transformer?

An 18v+18v (alternatively 36v centertapped) transformer will get you 24v rails.

a 24+24v (or 48v centertapped) transformer will get you 32v rails.

I think I would have been fine with a smaller transformer say down to 600va dual secondary.It was just a little more for the bigger one. I read that multiplying the rail v by .75 will approximate the secondary voltage needed.There is different ways to accomplish the same things.

here you can see 11" wide x 50" deep bottom with a 1000VA transformer.

Attachments

• 2013-01-08 01.11.28.jpg
    2013-01-08 01.11.28.jpg
    313.3 KB · Views: 511
  • 2013-01-08 01.12.38.jpg
    2013-01-08 01.12.38.jpg
    273.8 KB · Views: 488
Zoe,

I'm thinking of using that same transformer, 1000VA which gives 4 pairs of 25V secondaries. The other option for Antek is a 600VA 2pair 28V.

I'm also thinking of mounting the toroid vertically in the front. I found a good picture of an example on how to do that (very nice build photo from someone at the forum here).

How much power would the F5Tv2 make with that Antek toroid?
Well, 25V * 1.4 = 35V DC
and 25V * 1.3 = 32.5V DC --> Is my understanding correct? It seems like this is right where it needs to be, correct?

Attachments

• amp example.jpg
    amp example.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 479
Last edited: