F5 Turbo Builders Thread

Is it a slow blow fuse?

A lot depends on how much capacitance/transformer you have in the supply. My v2 single mono with 625va transformer and 200,000uf of caps will blow a 4A slow blow fuse occasionally on startup.

Yes, they are slow blow. I have an 800VA trafo and 160,000uf of filter cap. I’ve got the soft start boards on the way in the mail. We will se how they do.

You didn’t have a problem with amp gain...

You had a problem with preamp attenuation!

Glad you got it worked out. :)

That’s exactly right. Im not sure how i did that. I had the 47.5K in my mouser order. But happened to grab the 47R5s when building. Anywho, the amps sound fantastic, I've had it burning in for a few hours now. I would like to thank the godfather of diy audio, Mr. Pass. Such a gift for the path of life long learning and to the world of two channel audio.

Thanks AudioSan. I'll have to think on that. I'm really like the design with those sinks are standing straight up. I wonder how much less cooling there will be set that way.

As a tube guy I've swapped out different tubes and in most instances the sound was quite different depending on the tube. Is there such a thing with the F5T?

Thanks AudioSan. I'll have to think on that. I'm really like the design with those sinks are standing straight up. I wonder how much less cooling there will be set that way.

As a tube guy I've swapped out different tubes and in most instances the sound was quite different depending on the tube. Is there such a thing with the F5T?

Not really. The tubes in the f5 are the transistors...

You can adjust the harmonic profile with P3. Which probably has an even more dramatic than tube rolling. And you don’t need to buy or replace anything to adjust it.

This is what I'm dealing with.

y4moKRHqvTpEIE84SSIV9Wyl09zQpT4MF01CU_KVCt7FcsFgo7OIhrdefxuk2aGw3zBwJ37tQyytA87rQMFbXLtF9YZHlC_DzS_8fPf6nXBjYerZXHyatVds6OSs22S48oXDHHOHxPmhHET4lFlfefY6cMB4UWcmRv04E367v9LTDKVg2teQne_XioNeK7VeFTm8ju3YHs6z3qPYUzoOZqQ_Q

My 4U chassis dropped 5deg C just by putting the factory, essentially letting air through the bottom vents. These things are more sensitive to airflow than I expected. You might be able to put it on the floor, but i would place a hard surface between the amp and carpet. Like a 1/2” granite slab or a hard wood. Then monitor the heat for the first few days. If need be, decrease the bias just a tad.

I agree with others that you would be better of with 4u if the space is that tight. Natural convection plays a big part in getting maximum cooling from the side mounted heatsinks. Increasing the space between the bottom of the heatsink and the shelf is a good way to encourage airflow. I built 2 amp stands for my F5V3 monoblocks so they have no shelves above them. I also use tall feet to help convection.

Joined 2019
Paid Member
@McQuaide - If those are VTI racks (If they are, I have the same ones in a different color scheme) - you'd need to lift the rack just a wee bit for a 5U with the "isolation feet" to tuck it under the bar, but there's clearance. I have run the 5Us in the bottom slots and in "open air" on top. I get about a 4C difference from "open air" to the bottom. With the bias set normally on a F4, F5, Aleph J, SissySIT, and M2x - I've never approached 55C on the sinks - internal temps seem fine. I set the F5 to just a shade over 1A8 last week, and it's been in the rack for quite a while. My room stays around 70F year round. Whether it's a good idea or not... I leave my amps on pretty much all the time unless I'm out of town.

So... you might be just fine in PA. If you want it the coolest... then use a babysitter or put it on the top rack as others have said. Just thought I'd chime in since I think we have the same racks. YMMV based on the amps and the bias. F5T may run quite a bit warmer.