F5 Turbo Builders Thread

nope , just leave it in mid position

confirm that with ohmmeter prior to soldering it on pcb

It's in the middle position since the build, but still the P3 was put there for the purpose of choice, wasn't it? Both Pass and other build guides wright about using it for tweaking and perfecting the amp by taste.

Is there anyone who know how to set it and could give me a actual guidance other than leave it as it is (I'm aware of that the middle point might be where I end up at the end).

It's in the middle position since the build, but still the P3 was put there for the purpose of choice, wasn't it? Both Pass and other build guides wright about using it for tweaking and perfecting the amp by taste.

Is there anyone who know how to set it and could give me a actual guidance other than leave it as it is (I'm aware of that the middle point might be where I end up at the end).

Either,
You have sophisticated distortion analysing equipment, and you set the harmonics to your "ideal" value.
Or,
You tweak it and use the Mk.1 ear to pick your favourite position.

Alternatively you set it to mid point and leave it alone. :rolleyes:

Either,
You have sophisticated distortion analysing equipment, and you set the harmonics to your "ideal" value.
Or,
You tweak it and use the Mk.1 ear to pick your favourite position.

Alternatively you set it to mid point and leave it alone. :rolleyes:

Sorry for sounding grumpy, but this is another answer without any information.
I already said in my first post that you could listen your way to the right position and know ill be able to do a blind tweaking. No matter what i end up, the distorsion i choose to go for doesn't matter, I still like to know if for ex. clockwise will boost 2nd harmonics.

Since my last questions regarding F5t power supply post #4823.

I have acquired some Kendeil 22,000uf 63v electrolytic, which I would like to use in the power supply.
As there is little space left in my box, would it be possible to house the transformer/rectifier/ Kendeil's(4off) and R, in a separate box. Therefor becoming CCRCCC.
The suggestion above would be per channel.
Is this good for the power supply, or just over kill !.

I built mine as a 4 box pair of monoblocks. I have clc filtering with the first c and l in the ps chassis. Absolutely no issues with hum or noise etc. These amps have worked flawlessly since I put them into service. The bias and offset adjustment takes patience and some time, but it is stable once you get it dialed in. One benefit to a separate supply box is that the transformer and rectifier heat is not in the amp box to add to the thermal load on the heatsinks. There are some pictures of one of my amps earlier in this thread at post 4763 http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/207103-f5-turbo-builders-thread-477.html#post5116885
Good luck with your build.

Since my last questions regarding F5t power supply post #4823.

I have acquired some Kendeil 22,000uf 63v electrolytic, which I would like to use in the power supply.
As there is little space left in my box, would it be possible to house the transformer/rectifier/ Kendeil's(4off) and R, in a separate box. Therefor becoming CCRCCC.
The suggestion above would be per channel.
Is this good for the power supply, or just over kill !.

Squeeze em in...in the end I have CCCRCCC

Attachments

• IMG_0991.jpg
    IMG_0991.jpg
    493.4 KB · Views: 363
10A fuse seems too high for a 600VA transformer.

A 600VA 72Vac transformer has a maximum continuous AC current into a resistive load of 8.3Aac.
If instead you connect it to a capacitor input filter, the maximum continuous DC current drops to ~ 50% to 60% of the AC rating, i.e. 4.1Adc to 5Adc

You can obtain effective protection using a close rated mains fuse in the primary circuit. The secondary fusing then becomes unnecessary.

The 0.1uF capacitors on the PSU output don't provide any useful function.

Why 3V to 4V white LEDs as indicators?
Would Green LEDs mean good to go?

Last edited: