F5 Turbo Builders Thread - Page 23 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th May 2012, 05:25 PM   #221
flg is offline flg  United States
diyAudio Member

I reread the article last night. I don't get alot of details from it for consumers of this thread to follow. He is informing us how to do it but, in a way we can go figure it out for ourselves. That would include experimentation...
I started way back when cviller was doing his dual output board. I'm just slow if no one else is paying or wanting. That was right up my alley though. And, there are some of the important details in the Low Z thread not mentioned here. I want to paralell my line array drivers as much as possible. All 12 in paralell would be 1.33 Ohm nom. and that would be good if the amp can do well. I don't know. Conservativly though, 6 strings of 2 - 8 ohm nominal spk's makes 2.66 ohms. Total DCR of 1.86 ohms. I want to see how well I can do with that. Re wiring the spk's is easy fo further experimentaion. 240w of dissapation from my stereo f5t Ver 1 amp will only add to the 180W dissapation of my tweeter amp. I have an 8 ohm center channel woofer too.
My problem with what's going on in this thread is, it's not what I want or need. I just wonder if it is actually what most of us need? And, of coarse what most of us want I'm not going to address???
The real problem is, no one can specify an operating point that will be good for everyone. Taking the Bear voltage test on your speakers will get you started but, there is just to many variables with efficiency, room, music style, avg volume, etc. to pin down a transfer curve that is ideal for everyone.
First I would start with an F5, or maybe a dual, or tripple. 4 outputs has to be about it. I would then realize (in my case) I'm using 2SK/J parts that are only 12A Max Id/FET. As is the P channel Fairchild and??? So, I'm comfortable with 1.5-2A Iq. With the dual output cicuit, thats 6-8A ClassA out. Maybe the continuous peaks during a few friends over a few bears, or a barbeque in the yard, we hit class AB at least every second up to maybe 12-16A peak. No problem. I now have a a small margin for the 1812 oveuture or one of them visiting barbie freqs to turn the wrong knob, play the wrong source, or the wrong tune or whatever, before the Outputs are more done than the steaks!. I don't need no stinking diodes!
Old 10th May 2012, 05:30 PM   #222
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

you can bet that drivers in your arrays are soooooooooo stupid , that they're simply no aware are they connected in series or parallel

Old 10th May 2012, 05:51 PM   #223
diyAudio Member

The diodes would seem to fit better with less output pairs vs more. Cascoded V2 seems teh most practical to me for high power, but some folks have 3 and 4 way speakers, with multiple hungry woofers in them. Add to that crossover losses, and maybe you need a V3. Beyond that ...?
If some my parts come in, I will have fully operational, 2 pair V3. Finishing the cab up now. I will put scope on diodes and play music and see what happens. May have to short the outputs to get the diodes to conduct. I guess me and the kids could have funny hair day with Dad's amps. Her son, touch tese two together.
Old 10th May 2012, 06:25 PM   #224
diyAudio Member

Will someone double check my PSU. I am calling it Lerch
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PSU.jpg (346.9 KB, 520 views)
Old 10th May 2012, 06:38 PM   #225
diyAudio Member

you can also call it "Buzz" , with all these multiple gnd traces

think starrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

make it right , then call it Larch

http://youtu.be/ug8nHaelWtc

Last edited by Zen Mod; 10th May 2012 at 06:40 PM.
Old 10th May 2012, 06:46 PM   #226
diyAudio Member

............ or you can call it Bicycle Repair Pcb !

Monty Python - Bicycle Repair Man - YouTube
Old 10th May 2012, 07:43 PM   #227
diyAudio Member

Are you suggesting it will make all those animated sounds when fired up
Old 10th May 2012, 07:46 PM   #228
diyAudio Member

dunno for funny sounds , but it will not be first pcb making problems because of multiple current loops
Old 10th May 2012, 08:25 PM   #229
diyAudio Member

ANy better? I am trying to go single sided.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Psu-2.jpg (870.2 KB, 472 views)
Old 10th May 2012, 09:03 PM   #230
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzforb View Post
Never seena thermostat on the line in a PSU before, so I wa wandering if this was an acceptable one.

LM26CIM5-SPA/NOPB National Semiconductor | LM26CIM5-SPACT-ND | DigiKey

Is this a secondary safety measure for overall temperature n case?
there is many thermostats thats in the PSU line. (or main line that is)
thats why i love the hypex softstart. wich have thermobraker option, that only set the amp in standby. and work on low signal current.

Hide this!Advertise here!