F5 Turbo Builders Thread

6L6, here's a link to the discussion of the Legato. It's not DC offset that's 6-9V.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/twisted-pear/183663-legato-3-look-ma-no-caps.html

According to that first post, when running single ended the output has zero offset relative to chassis ground. In balanced configuration the DC offset of the balanced signal is also zero, but the balanced outputs are at 6-9V relative to chassis ground.

So if I'm understanding it correctly, it's almost like a "Class A" amp. The commond mode DC of the balanced output signals null each other out. They still have 0V offset relative to each other so there shouldn't be any DC as far as the signal going through the amplifier.

I found another post that stated that Pass Labs said this would work on an XA150, but I'm not familiar with that topology (nor am I an electrical engineer) so I can't figure out if the F5T would work as well.

Brian

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
6-9V of absolute ( even if differential is non-existent) DC offset will cut in one side of voltage swing

that's not much if you're having amplifier with 100V rails , but if you're using amp with 25-ish V rails ...... shooting him with 9V on inputs is equally reckless as shooting him with 9V on just one input

look Ma , ignore that bare mains wire I wrapped around your leg ......... just walk in very small steps ....

:devilr: :rofl:

Last edited:
Thank you for the answers. I'll stick with the buffered single ended outputs (which don't have the common mode DC) for now . I can always experiment with going to AC coupled differential later.

Out of curiousity, what makes the X150 capable of handling the common mode DC? Is it the 'supersymmetry' approach, AC coupling on the input or just higher rails?

Brian

Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
any decent amp with differential input is able to cope with common mode DC offset ;

AC coupled ( cap on input ) are just ignoring it as non-existent
DC coupled are not going to fry speaker (common mode voltage, be it signal or DC level, resulting in nill gain) but both lsp outputs are going to jump (or fall) in some amount

which amount , depends of amp construction ...... resulting in anything from cutting output voltage envelope , to gray smoke

X150 , having caps on input , is immune on that sort of mishaps

Bias

Changed bias resaistors R 5 and R 6 to 2,2kohm and still no bias. Maybe change to 3,9 kohm. A ******* lot of work. Need to take 10 capacitors out again. Sick and tired of this amp. Jim sent me the 170 and 74.

Attachments

• 20160525_191653.jpg
    20160525_191653.jpg
    988 KB · Views: 266
Have you checked which way the pots are working, I mean checked not guessed.
Can you measure across R5 R6 and see the value change as the pots are turned with no power on?
Are Q7 Q8 the correct way round?
Pots orientation make no difference in this PCB and I can measure Across the pot because it is parrallel to R 5 and R 6. There is a picture on the PCb how to place Q 7 and Q 8

Thank you for answering

Did you get a chance to measure the Vdrop across those resistors with power on. That would give you a general idea of the current flowing through the Jfets with the 10ohms of degeneration.

I did at the negative it is aprox zero and at the positive max 32 mv. From 4 to 32 mv. All mosfet should be selected from Jims audio.

Thats with max 20 vdc

Last edited:
To be clear, I am talking about the source resistors(10ohms) of the Jfets on the FE. if that's what you measures, the numbers you got sound low.

When you say that it is changing when turning the pots, are you talking about the bias setting pots, or P3?

When you get the new fets, post a schematic that you are using to create a reference to the Jim's Audio boards. That will help keep things clear as you work through it.

Last edited:
Power OFF all capacitors discharged:
Can you set the resistor array to measure 0r0 when you turn the pot to end stop?
and for the other pot?

Yes Andrew I can. I use multiturn pots. Two of the legs is shorted at the pcb. I guess it is the idss of the Jfets wich is the problem.
What are the minimum resistances when the pots are on the end stops?

Now set the pots to the other end stops. What are the two resistances now?

F5 Turbo V2 power supply.

Hello everyone.
I do not know if this is the right place for this question. :confused:
I have two toroidal transformers with 25-0-25 v 300 VA each, you can use them to build an F5 Turbo V2 instead of 24-0-24v. They were from another project, did not need to buy new.
If I'm in the wrong place my apologies. I began to purchase components for assembly.
Thanks.
P. Dias