F5 Turbo Builders Thread - Page 193 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th May 2013, 05:28 PM   #1921
WalterW is offline WalterW  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
BuzzMod is saying 'Graetz' like ZenMod. LOL!!

(Graetz = Diode Bridge)
Old 27th May 2013, 05:31 PM   #1922
Rixsta is offline Rixsta  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Rixsta
Im going to Go foreward and wire it up later anyway, and apply a small AC voltage just to test. and insulate diodes of corse!

The only thing I need to actualy know is if the ground Points in that schematic go to Chassis, or if only the ground from IEC socket goes to Chassis.

Last edited by Rixsta; 27th May 2013 at 05:36 PM.
Old 27th May 2013, 05:49 PM   #1923
diyAudio Member

You are using a single Graetz/bridge. Many are using dual Graetz. Yours will work fine if wired properly, but will not give same performance as dual bridge. F5 Manual, pg 18, has dual bridge setup.
http://www.firstwatt.com/pdf/prod_f5_man.pdf

From Pearl II article, by Wayne Colbourn
"First, there are two rectifier bridges instead of the usual one. We do this because the positive rail will be sourcing more current to the circuit than the negative, and in this circumstance dual rectifiers will avoid the transformer noise which often accompanies this."

IEC oulet goes directly to chassis and psu is connected to earth/chassis through a thermistor/bridge combo, which lifts that point a diode drop above ground to further help with noise.
Old 27th May 2013, 06:10 PM   #1924
diyAudio Member

Haha. I had to Google "Graetz" back when I was reading the Pumpkin cookbook.
Old 27th May 2013, 06:20 PM   #1925
diyAudio Member

THats how we learn, one little bit at a time. Sooner or later, we might actually know something, although I have not arrived at that point yet Still close my eyes when I plug in my amps.
Old 27th May 2013, 06:46 PM   #1926
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzforb View Post
You are using a single Graetz/bridge. Many are using dual Graetz. Yours will work fine if wired properly, but will not give same performance as dual bridge. F5 Manual, pg 18, has dual bridge setup.
http://www.firstwatt.com/pdf/prod_f5_man.pdf

From Pearl II article, by Wayne Colbourn
"First, there are two rectifier bridges instead of the usual one. We do this because the positive rail will be sourcing more current to the circuit than the negative, and in this circumstance dual rectifiers will avoid the transformer noise which often accompanies this."

IEC oulet goes directly to chassis and psu is connected to earth/chassis through a thermistor/bridge combo, which lifts that point a diode drop above ground to further help with noise.
Ok I like your attitude, i figured 2 diodes was equal to 1 Graetz and im using 4.
but yes page 11 of www.firstwatt.com/pdf/art_f5_turbo.pdf I have copied Exactly. But I may Swap to using the 2x 200v 35A, bridge rectifiers I have Or order another 4 Diodes to make dual Graetz.

But let me clarify lol, That page 11 is showing 4 actual Diodes ?

Last edited by Rixsta; 27th May 2013 at 06:48 PM.
Old 27th May 2013, 06:50 PM   #1927
diyAudio Member

Yes. But many thought that it seemed odd that he stepped back from dual Graetz in F5 to a single, in what was a more powerful amp. He has been known to cut and paste his articles. As i said, if you wired properly for single bridge, then you are fine. You may find that the traces on the veraboard are being pushed a little in this instance, but should be ok for short term solution.
Old 27th May 2013, 06:56 PM   #1928
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
Quote:
one little bit at a time.
In the medical field on this side, one needs to learn loads of Latin(Greek) names for anatomy & physiology.
Across the pond(s), many of those words are integral parts of the American/English language.
Lose a little, gain a little.

(Graetz is the standard on these shores. Think Zzz likes Graetz more, than other way round)
Old 27th May 2013, 07:00 PM   #1929
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Yes. But many thought that it seemed odd that he stepped back from dual Graetz in F5 to a single, in what was a more powerful amp. He has been known to cut and paste his articles. As i said, if you wired properly for single bridge, then you are fine. You may find that the traces on the veraboard are being pushed a little in this instance, but should be ok for short term solution.
Thanks for your help I agree that is a bit odd, i had just figured those MUR were more powerful originally but now I see. But never expected the amp to pull more from the positive side than the negative as you would have thought it would be symmetrical but I guess we are not talking logic here lol

The veraboard i have doubled up using a few tracks as one but may add wire to thicken connections OR. Buy the official Diyaudio Power supply boards, If i can get 20 caps on 2 of them! they do look rather well done.

Last edited by Rixsta; 27th May 2013 at 07:02 PM.
Old 27th May 2013, 07:05 PM   #1930
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacco vermeulen View Post
(Graetz is the standard on these shores. Think Zzz likes Graetz more, than other way round)
the difference between Diode bridge/rectifier and Greatz is as big as between
swedes and turnips lol

Hide this!Advertise here!