F5 Turbo Builders Thread

Topa_zps12ad02e5.jpg

The vendor is Jim from Ebay.

I will try to obtain the schematic :)

Hi All,
I am still having issues. I can bias on channel perfectly. The other drifts down over time. If biased at 0.3vdc it will drift down to 0.2vdc within 30min and contine down. I have it cooking now to see how low it will go. If I bias up agin it begins to drift more. If I shut it down for a bit it jumps back to 0.3vdc and begins to drift down.

Hi ClassZ,

Changing PS voltages has been discussed a couple of times. If you go back to page 324 I asked about it again as a newbie to this forum. If you start reading from there you will see some interesting info from these good people. I will be using a 48v PS when I finally get around to the F5 turbo project (still playing with making a longer chassis for a threshold SA/1 clone and beefing up the PS to 2.4kva and .544 farads of caps). :)
The idea of running with 100v PS rails is interesting if you are interested in more power but the PS Caps are going to cost you. I also had the idea of using some of the new Silcon Carbide BJTs for outputs but they are too expensive yet.
Have a good one,
John

sissy amp, he he he, good one. Actually I think the SA/1 was one of the finest amps Nelson produced...until he started Pass Labs and made some greater stuff. I have placed the SA/1 up against some of the best amp around and other than the barely noticeable sibilants of the BJT over MOSFETs it has clean open sound. My beefing up the PS isn't really nessessary but it is what DYI audio people do, overkill.
The F5 Turbo's simplicity of the front end intrigues me, a good vehicle for experimentation, the push-pull output is pretty standard. The SA/1 had 40 output BJT so it was very robust.
Have a good one,
John