F5 Turbo Builders Thread - Page 134 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th February 2013, 12:24 AM   #1331
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioSan View Post
alu is a devil to work with. it can bite ur ars off.
Ring finger. In this case If I could get it to bite **** off regularly, I would make a fortune selling services to women looking to downsize
Old 14th February 2013, 12:29 AM   #1332
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzforb View Post
Ring finger. In this case If I could get it to bite **** off regularly, I would make a fortune selling services to women looking to downsize
thats an idea
well. all aloy's is a bitch. they need some special care regarding tools.

Last edited by AudioSan; 14th February 2013 at 12:32 AM.
Old 14th February 2013, 12:44 AM   #1333
zoe is offline zoe  United States
diyAudio Member

can I use these to insulate my mosfets
they have a hole Hole will fill with grease no?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MICA 003.JPG (489.7 KB, 296 views)
Old 14th February 2013, 12:59 AM   #1334
diyAudio Member

i will not recomend that. use insulators that is ment for your type of mosfets. those can send a spark to the heatsinks. and thats something you don't want
take a look here after the 15th. : Assorted Components Kit, Modules items in Electronics-Salon store on eBay!
Old 14th February 2013, 01:41 AM   #1335
Lo_Tse is offline Lo_Tse  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioSan View Post
i will not recomend that. use insulators that is ment for your type of mosfets. those can send a spark to the heatsinks. and thats something you don't want
take a look here after the 15th. : Assorted Components Kit, Modules items in Electronics-Salon store on eBay!
Audiosan

Do you mean there are too many holes on the insulator or mica is not a good insulator? I have bought a bunch of those expensive keratherm red pads for TO-267 (I think) BJT. I hope they will fit the mosfets used in the F5T.

Regards,
Old 14th February 2013, 01:49 AM   #1336
diyAudio Member

i mean that there is too much holes. mica is fine as a material. TO-267 is a bigger chassis then TO-247. but thats no problem..
Old 14th February 2013, 04:02 AM   #1337
henryve is offline henryve  South Africa
diyAudio Member

If you have some metalworking experience you can work to 0.2mm precision with a standard woodworking blade on the tablesaw and a set of files. You have to know how to handle a file. Most people don't. Also, when drilling, get a set of spotting drills. Most normal drills wander a bit when you start off the hole from a punched mark.
Old 14th February 2013, 04:11 AM   #1338
henryve is offline henryve  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzforb View Post
Had a friend lose an eye using grinder on aluminum.
Never, ever use a grinder on aluminium. The aluminium blocks the little holes in the material of the blade, heats up and expands, eventually leading to the cracking of the blade.

I will eventually get a proper aluminium blade. It leads to less hard work with the file after the cut. I used candlewax for the lubrication of the blade. And yes, that bloody aluminium chips hurt when they are flinging all over the place.
Old 14th February 2013, 05:11 AM   #1339
bk856er is offline bk856er  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryve View Post
If you have some metalworking experience you can work to 0.2mm precision with a standard woodworking blade on the tablesaw and a set of files. You have to know how to handle a file. Most people don't. Also, when drilling, get a set of spotting drills. Most normal drills wander a bit when you start off the hole from a punched mark.
Slightly OT, but I need to learn more about working with aluminum. I thought a center punch, drop of cutting oil, sharp bit and proper rpm were the main things. Never could get the accuracy I wanted/expected. Spotting bit makes perfect sense - never knew such a thing existed. Below is a recent effort with a cordless hand drill (no spotting bit). It took a long time!

BK

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 14th February 2013, 05:22 AM   #1340
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryve View Post
that depends on the tools as much as the the one operating it.
0.2mm is 1/10 of the blade. dont you ever try to to convince someone that they can do that pressision without alot of cutting behind them. and a saw guide. even that might not be good enough.

Last edited by AudioSan; 14th February 2013 at 05:29 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!