F5 Turbo Builders Thread

If the diodes that bypass the source resistors turn on, even just a little, during your bias setting adjustments, you lose the stabilising effect that the Source Resistor provides.
The bias becomes unstable, rather than stable, and potentially could run away when you change temperature slightly.
Remember, the bias voltage is applied to the series combination of Vgs and Vrs.
If Ibias tries to increase then Vgs must reduce and thus Ibias tends to reduce. This is a stable feedback effect.

Replace Vrs with Vf of a passing diode and the Vbias= Vgs+Vf equation loses the stablising effect of Rs. Take care !

Setting up an F5 is not the same as setting up an F5t

So what part of my setup suggestion was risky to follow? You are correct the diodes increase the possibilities of instability, but taken slowly and according to what I suggested, its a non issue. The F5, and with it, the f5T, remain the easiest amp i have encountered in terms of build/bias difficulty.

first you need to get som other heatsinks. horisontal fins is a very bad idea for a amp like this:)
whats the rail voltage and bias? is it with or without diodes. if you have diodes, how are they mounted?
and how many output pairs?

The voltage would be more or less what it is in the schematic I think it was a couple of volts higher, the bias when the right channels fets blew was about 3/4 of the total recommended power (not sure without looking at the manual) . its using the diodes. I am no expert and built the electronics for this for a friend not as a job!

ok so firstly a question I can answer straight away. the heat sinks are fine. they dissipate the heat with no trouble what so ever. I remember asking about that and he said not even at top bias advised for those chips it was cool enough. but I think he reduced the bias.
I need to ask him bout voltage on rails and other stuff as have only just received it back from him. he did build an ordinary f5 which had no trouble but this f5 pushed things a little too far I think as didn't even get to connecting the b1 or the db meters or any of that side of it I think he was using and testing the amp only. and so my suspicion is that it is to do with the wiring inside or the type of wire used or its proximity to the transformer or anything really. as he did say he believes the amp is oscillating and so If I could get an oscilloscope I might find out more.

I have added some more pics of the inside. as far as I know its only one mosfets and diodes burnt out this time last time was the same but only one channel iam not sure this time if more is damaged or if its just same as first time. View attachment 371467

View attachment 371468

View attachment 371469

View attachment 371470

View attachment 371471

There were hum problems original so I redesigned the power supply 3 times and the 3rd using tea bags boards and worked well with no hum, this amp I spent hours and hours on over a course of 3 months or more without payment for my time, mainly because it was being built for a friend! I could have done other things with my life in that time.... in this world you try to do something nice and you sometimes just end up with unhappy people all round :) id rather not take the money if it was offered anyway to keep the owner not so unhappy with me.

with my previous experience of building a couple of F5's I decided to build this F5t but knew at the time it was a bit out of my league.

I presume this amp has some instability but to me the problem is unlikely to lie with the temp of the heatsink or fets.

Last edited:
what i see here is that the diodes is mounted on the main sink. wich runs so hot that he needed to take the bias down?? the diodes start to conduct earlier when they run hot. so a bias runaway is one possibility. that will blow outputs and set them on fire.

This is true and I realised this mistake a little too late, was thinking of turning them round or mounting on another sink. when the amp blew it was nothing to do with heat, this happened when I turned the volume up on my PC... strange sound then 2x mosfet started burning. I have no idea what that is all about but when my PC volume was low there was no problem.

I suggest to avoid this kind of messy solder connections

solid copper wire and solder is very good
but should be done with more care

done like on the bundled resitors seen below may cause too much heat on the components
and could also easily lead to poor connection
which may not even be visible
but in this case it is

Temporary solution the connections were strong just messy, no hum on speakers etc. not everyone makes everything perfect when prototyping ;-)

I think he just turned the bias down because originally he set it higher than the advised limit by mistake as was testing for bias on the wrong resistor or something but I don't think his testing equipment is really upto the job as only has cheap multi meters. and I mena cheap..
iam going to try and get another friend to test with his oscilloscope the exact voltage on bias and if anything has been damaged from little fire. as it shouldn't be doing that. something must be significantly wrong with wiring or components or something..
by the way do you live in Norway by any chance?. my cousin lives there and makes seriously high end audio cables to order.

Indeed originaly set the bias a bit too high and thought my god that's a hot heatsink, sorted that out fast and had the amp working for some days.
after that I never set the bias to full power again as I was afraid to up it Until i was sure the amp was stable, so kept it around about the 1/2 mark.
with still a lovely sound.

I used 2 cheap and one expensive multimeter.
its interesting how doing something with a good heart and intention can be totally the wrong thing to do and lead to unhappy people lol

gabsta. yes i do live in norway. right smack in the middle of the country:)
a cheap multimeter(or 2 of them) is all one need.
when the sinks are mounted this way, they are also more prong to changes in ambient temp. i still think that the sink is atleast partly the couse of the blown outputs and fire.
also i think the bias was set to high for the sink temp/Source resistance. and the fact that the outputs are mounted high on the sinks do not make things better.

Yeah id definitely swap them round or another solution. The top of the sink was hotter.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Folks:

Your advice on the positioning of the toroid and power supply pcb would be appreciated. I'm building several F5T amps with friends. We've purchased 5U/400mm "big amp" enclosures from the Store, 1000 VA SumR toroids and are using large power supply pcbs supplied by Buzzforb. My question: is it better to (a) center the toroid in the chassis and mount the power supply pcb on standoffs directly above the toroid or (b) follow the more traditional approach of mounting the toroid towards the front of the enclosure and the power supply pcb on the floor towards the rear? It seems to me that (a) minimizes any blocking of the vents on the bottom plate and would maximize airflow through the chassis around the toroid/ps pcb stack, whereas (b) maximizes vertical space above both the toroid and ps pcb at the possible expense of impeding air flow from below.

As newbies, we're open to either approach and assume that someone has exhaustively assessed both options. And if not, does anyone have a considered opinion?

Regards,
Scott

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Scott - I would do whatever will place the PSU board closest to the amp boards. In the 5U, that will likely mean the toroid towards the front and PSU towards the rear, however you have lots of flexibility in heighth because the 5U is so tall.

It's going to come down to wether or not you can mount the PSU and toroid on the floor of the amp, in a way you like.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Scott - I would do whatever will place the PSU board closest to the amp boards. In the 5U, that will likely mean the toroid towards the front and PSU towards the rear, however you have lots of flexibility in heighth because the 5U is so tall.

It's going to come down to wether or not you can mount the PSU and toroid on the floor of the amp, in a way you like.

While on the topic of the 5U case (which I am also using) and its floor space for power supply doo dads, I have a question. My previous F-5 build has a floor pan made from 1/8 inch 6061 aluminum, and I mounted the POWER SUPPLY diodes (MUR) to the floor pan of the amp as heatsinking. With the 5U case, this would mean attaching them to that perforated metal floor....is this sufficient heatsink for those MUR PS diodes? (As supplied from Buzzs group buy kit)

Thanks,

Russellc

Last edited: