does anyone use these for home theater use?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey guys,
I have never posted on this part of the website and I have been looking around for a while to see if I could find my answer and even doing a search I couldnt find it. Maybe I missed it.

Anyways, I am one that totally agrees with Pass that its not really about how much power but how good the power is that matters. However, I am still confused by what others say about home theater applications. Many claim that you need sometimes even 500w of power to be safe with all the peaks.....

Anyways, that is why I am here asking this question. Does anyone here use their pass amps that they built for home theater with high sensitivity speakers?

I plan on building some two way horn monitors with a 12" driver for the mids and a large horn to cover everything else higher with a minidsp controlling the crossover. My goal is a minimum of 98db 1w/1m.

so obviously it wont take much to get really loud. I would also say that music/movies is a pretty even split....maybe a little more music since I am often doing things around the house and music matters more about how it sounds....movies.....meh, it matters but its not something that you will really notice from what I have experienced.

I am rambling on.....so does anyone use their diy pass for movies?

haha, i was starting to wonder if anyone was going to reply with 124 views and no responses.

The entire reason I asked is because of the fact that most of the designs that i have seen on here have been for lower amounts of power and with the conflicting theories about how much power is needed for movies I didnt know.

I actually was thinking that instead of building multi channel ones I may build them in a modular manner so I can have three amps in one chassis and be able to turn each of them on individually.....maybe even with VU meters as I for some reason really like those things.

I am thinking that i could make seperate ones for each channel but have say 2 or 3 in each chasis and set it up so I can turn each one on/off individually.

And I say that just because they seem to be hottly talked about....or do monoblocks for the mains and then an x3....

and in that article on firstwatt it talks about the f5 turbo going up to 100watts, if I remember it also said it could go alot higher too.

Last edited:
DMS

I have a surround system that has:
Aleph 4 driving the front speakers below 100 Hz, and Aleph 30's driving the front hi's above 100 Hz.
SAE driving center speaker below 100 Hz, and Aleph 30 driving the center hi's above 100 Hz.
Rears are driven by an ancient but still working CC2 amp. This will be replaced by aleph 30s and maybe chip amps for lows.

The speakers are dynaudio gemini's on top, and NHT 1259 woofers on the bottom.

Sensativity is not a problem. Heat buildup is noticeable in the basement after several hours.

The fidelity is very good. The woofers are in custom double thickness MDF cabinets with dowel bracing. I am now building a multi-channel preamp with Jfet crossover and buffers and BOSOZ balanced output to drive the system with. Loudness is not much of an issue when you have 10 channels of amplifiers and electronic crossovers. It is quite tactil and very enjoyable.

Don

I have a surround system that has:
Aleph 4 driving the front speakers below 100 Hz, and Aleph 30's driving the front hi's above 100 Hz.
SAE driving center speaker below 100 Hz, and Aleph 30 driving the center hi's above 100 Hz.
Rears are driven by an ancient but still working CC2 amp. This will be replaced by aleph 30s and maybe chip amps for lows.

The speakers are dynaudio gemini's on top, and NHT 1259 woofers on the bottom.

Sensativity is not a problem. Heat buildup is noticeable in the basement after several hours.

The fidelity is very good. The woofers are in custom double thickness MDF cabinets with dowel bracing. I am now building a multi-channel preamp with Jfet crossover and buffers and BOSOZ balanced output to drive the system with. Loudness is not much of an issue when you have 10 channels of amplifiers and electronic crossovers. It is quite tactil and very enjoyable.

Don

wow! thats alot of power! I am working on a monitor design that is going to be a high effeciency design. I may wind up just doing a couple monoblocks at first and then add an x3 or x5 later. Not really sure. Until I get done I will just use the amps in my receiver....

DMS

I recommend you try the aleph 30. It sounds very good, and has been favorably reviewed by peers in the market. You can't say that about all the projects on this site. It is easy to build, and you can find circuit boards at various times. I really prefer the sound of the 30 over the aleph 4, and don't miss the wattage. Like Professor Pass, I find I don't need tons of power to enjoy the music. Plus, if you bi or tri amp, you greatly reduce the power needed per amp for the same spl. In in upcoming pre amp, I am going to try something I have not seen done before. I am going to feed inputs to a crossover, and then go into a four channel BOSOZ preamp. I want balanced outputs and don't want to have to go unbalanced into the crossover and rebalance coming out of the crossover. I wonder if dividing the frequencies before the preamp yields any sonic benefits? We will see.
Don

.....so does anyone use their diy pass for movies?

You betcha! I have 3 x 125w Aleph-X monoblocks driving relatively low sensitivity floor-standing open baffle speakers for my front speaker array. The front array is crossed to a 4 x 15" infinite baffle subwoofer that is driven by a 1000w amplifier at 60Hz. The four surround speakers are driven by CDA-254 amps from ClassDAudio. The whole setup is controlled by a Marantz AV8003.

I was originally going to build five Aleph-X amps, but I abandoned this plan when I discovered how much heat these babies kick out.

Have look through my signature link...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.