F5 Turbo Circuit Boards

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You are right. Other parts cost more. I am thinking in relative terms. "Typically", for a build less than 500$, the PCB (my experience) would be about 5-7 % of the total cost. My estimated total cost for my V3 mono blocks is less than 1000 US$ (hope I will come within budget).

That sounds good. I hope this time around the boards will not run out in 2 days :(.

Regards,

less then $1000???
my budget for V3 monoblocks are around $4000.

I usually think of the amplifier part as 10% of the completed build cost.
I would expect the PCB to be a small proportion of the amplifier cost, maybe 30%.
That would put the PCBs @ ~£30 in a £1000 completed amplifier.
The chassis, the heatsinks, the transformer, the PSU and all the ancillaries hardware would be around £900. Leaving ~£70 for the amp semis+caps+resistors+diodes.

Last edited:
Aah, but it's the (north) American way to do it for less, and over-expenditure is the Euro streak.

(calculating pcb cost percentage of the total is amusing though)

Jacco,

As long as the ECB is there to "help", what the heck:D !!

Shoot, I think I have been brianwashed by my Boss - his motto, "do more with less, or there will be no job for you"

Regards,

BTW just received the new boards!
So is there somewhere buried in the threads somewhere a build guide for these boards? especially when using 4pr? where do you connect the gainstage to the MOSFET board, and whats the best way to link the two boards to the speaker output and ground?

Thanks

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
So is there somewhere buried in the threads somewhere a build guide for these boards? especially when using 4pr? where do you connect the gainstage to the MOSFET board, and whats the best way to link the two boards to the speaker output and ground?

The guide is coming.

What version are you building?

The FE board has labels that correspond to the attachments on the Output boards.

Speaker out is attached to the top of the FE board marked 'O/P' Speaker Ground is attached somewhere on the bottom to GND.

Yes, you will run out of holes. Ground will need to have some type of buss.

Well , hows the 4 pr .......:birthday:

I noticed a big difference in V2 vs standard F5. I did not notice as big a difference with V3, but I think there is a simple explanation. V2 gave me all the power(headroom) my drivers needed or wanted and v3 really didn't add anything, other than DF. I would expect those who would see an improvement from V3 over V2 are those who need the extra power, like yourself. I clearly hit the ceiling in gain. THat being said. V2/V3 was a completely different animal than the F5. In your case, I would suggest multiple output pairs and less per fet bias. I am working on a f4 output board that could be easily converted to work as output to f5 Fe, if you are interested. NOt going to produce it, but I know you have a special need for power, due to your speakers. I currently have 6 pairs on the board spread out over about 16", using universal mounting spec.

The guide is coming.

What version are you building?

The FE board has labels that correspond to the attachments on the Output boards.

Speaker out is attached to the top of the FE board marked 'O/P' Speaker Ground is attached somewhere on the bottom to GND.

Yes, you will run out of holes. Ground will need to have some type of buss.

I'm building the full out V3 with 4pr.
So in the case of 4pr is there benefit of running wire directly to each connection hole of the output boards? or one wire split close to the boards to the gates and O/P at the output board be ok?
Also, what would be the best way to connect the speaker out when I have 4pr (2N and 2P boards ?)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.