F5 Turbo Circuit Boards

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Personaly from experiance i think in certain places leads need to be kept not too long and also for instance audio leads kept away from power leads.
This way there is less likely to apear noise in the audio circuit and is less likely to oscillate.

My old Zen amplifier had leads from the Mosfets to the PCB so long that it was very unstable.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Want to build a 4 pr version , is this possible with these beta boards .....

Yes, with a cascode front-end and the other bits as mentioned about the V3 in Nelson's article.

a 4 pr min is my only interest

I'm interested in it as well, but am very curious what you have in mind for chassis/heatsink. Do you have anything in mind or purchased? I think everybody would be interested in sourcing information for that project.

:D :D :D

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Could you explain what you mean by layout?

The layout of the amp is winding up to be a fairly critical point of this build - the seperate front-end board (the driver circuitry, so to speak) is on it's own PCB and has many connections that all need to be wired in a way that isn't conducive to making the amp unstable - and as this is such a wide-band hotrod amp, it needs attention paid to make it work.

The FE board being it's own piece makes it possible to make a V1, V2 or V3 all with the same physical board set. Cool!

Well spill the beans , a 4 pr min is my only interest ..... :)

This weekend.

If i were to build them, monoblocks would be only consideration. I would probably go balanced over SE as you get voltage on the cheap and can get away with higher bias as a side benefit. 22V rails should get you 100W into 8 ohms all day long with only 20W dissipation per fet.

My v3 will be with Tea's boards and will be biased as high as I can get them. I will show single channel of store boards and full stereo of Tea's

Last edited:
This weekend.

If i were to build them, monoblocks would be only consideration. I would probably go balanced over SE as you get voltage on the cheap and can get away with higher bias as a side benefit. 22V rails should get you 100W into 8 ohms all day long with only 20W dissipation per fet.

My v3 will be with Tea's boards and will be biased as high as I can get them. I will show single channel of store boards and full stereo of Tea's

Cant use balance low -z is 1 ohm plus all my kabizillion pieces of equipment , none are balanced ...

The layout of the amp is winding up to be a fairly critical point of this build - the seperate front-end board (the driver circuitry, so to speak) is on it's own PCB and has many connections that all need to be wired in a way that isn't conducive to making the amp unstable - and as this is such a wide-band hotrod amp, it needs attention paid to make it work.

The FE board being it's own piece makes it possible to make a V1, V2 or V3 all with the same physical board set. Cool!

Well that was what I was getting at, what special considerations should one be looking at when laying it out? I'm making one with 4 pr and originally layed out with Tea's board. so that means I have wires going all over the place in a monoblock!
With the DIYaudio release still lots of wires, but connected to another PCB instead of the Mosfets.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
4pr/channel will take 2 sets of boards. Esentally you will use all the output boards per channel.

You will wind up with a couple extra FE boards that way, which with a little planning and modification you can probably make a BA-3 gain stage for a preamp project or something.

:) :) :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.