F5 Turbo Circuit Boards

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Best if there's build guide to answer these questions.

I would agree, I wish I were qualified to volunteer. But I can only make solder fumes on a good day. Too presumptuous to expect someone to just do it.

I'll chip in $5 towards a set of boards for someone, if they write a build / parts guide with pictures. (incentive)
perhaps others would donate $$$ to buy the boards for some skilled DIY member.
We all would benefit from his/her efforts.

N-Brock, looks like you have a very good start to a BOM. Thank you.

Ron

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Best if there's build guide to answer these questions.

There will be.

Remember, even though the article has been out for some time, (and all the interest in the F5T has mad that time go very slowly...) the PCB are just now getting tested. Once that process is finished, the maturation of this project into a full-fledged DIY project will commence.

The Build Guide will be coming once the PCB are verified operative and error-free. :) :) :) (And the volunteers have time to construct and document...)

I'll chip in $5 towards a set of boards for someone, if they write a build / parts guide with pictures. (incentive)

Nah, just donate the $5 to the Forum. And/or just buy a set of boards when the build guide is good enough that you are willing to give it whirl.

:D :D :D :D :D

Last edited:
6L6,
It was you whom I met at the Burning amp this year, right? A pleasure indeed. I've seen F5T boards for sale elsewhere, and have waited to buy them from "the Store". Yes, I will donate, as in the past. Just anxious, I suppose the extra $5 will help DIYA out of the "Red" we are in a little. I'm so excited, we have boards!
My Thors have been begging for just "a little more juice".
Ron

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Yes, I was a 'red shirt' at BA this year. :) It was a hoot! I hope to be there again for 2013.

If you need a little more power than the Turbo should be perfect. Everybody is looking forward to it with baited breath and much anticipation.

Remember, however, that a pair of F4's running from a balanced preamp will give 100WPC into 8ohm... There has been a high-power Firstwatt solution for quite some time -- it just needs an extra step. (And the BA-3 front end or the SYclotron 'Impasse' would be ideal preamps.)

Yes, I was a 'red shirt' at BA this year. :) It was a hoot! I hope to be there again for 2013.

If you need a little more power than the Turbo should be perfect. Everybody is looking forward to it with baited breath and much anticipation.

Remember, however, that a pair of F4's running from a balanced preamp will give 100WPC into 8ohm... There has been a high-power Firstwatt solution for quite some time -- it just needs an extra step. (And the BA-3 front end or the SYclotron 'Impasse' would be ideal preamps.)

How about the DCB1 "Mesmerize" for the pre? Almost finished, waiting on the engraver now.
Ron

Thank you for the BOM AudioSan!

Last edited:
A simple view of the cascode is this. R25/27 and R26/28 form voltage dividers. There values form a voltage as result of the small current that passes through them . It is this current which forward biases the diode junction of the bjt and kicks it into action. The same voltage seen by the base appears on the emitter of the bjt, minus the diode drop of about .66V. It acts to protect the jfet, eating up some of the rail voltage. It simply passes the signal, it receives from the Jfet on, eating Mr Miller's lunch at the same time, improving badwidth at higher frequencies. It adds a little voltage gain as well, but I am a little fuzzy on that among other things.....maybe all things.

Happy New Year.

Last edited:
A simple view of the cascode is this. R25/27 and R26/28 form voltage dividers. There values form a voltage as result of the small current that passes through them . It is this current which forward biases the diode junction of the bjt and kicks it into action. The same voltage seen by the base appears on the emitter of the bjt, minus the diode drop of about .66V. It acts to protect the jfet, eating up some of the rail voltage. It simply passes the signal, it receives from the Jfet on, eating Mr Miller's lunch at the same time, improving badwidth at higher frequencies. It adds a little voltage gain as well, but I am a little fuzzy on that among other things.....maybe all things.

Happy New Year.

Thanks Buzz,
Appropriate name on New Years Eve!
Explained very well and so easy even a "Caveman" could understand it.
Like me.
Eating Mr. Miller's Lunch..........LOL
Ron

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
You should contact Nelson Brook or Variac for those boards. I didn't know anyone had boards yet.

Rush

We've gotten the boards made, now certain members who've been willing to take the risk are building them up to make sure they work.

When we know they are good, we'll put them in the diyAudio Store and announce it everywhere!

Mark

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.