F5 Turbo Circuit Boards

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I would accept the warranty from the manufacturer.

If they say 50V working, then I expect it to survive for at least the lifetime and in specification for all voltages up to and including 50.00V

If my electricity supplier exceeds the stated 254Vac and I can prove that the overvoltage damaged my equipment, then the power supply company pays.

You have to watch the no-load peak voltage on the PS caps. Does the amp provide a load immediately on turn on? Or some number of mS later? I would prefer to have caps rated a whole lot higher than 10% over the expected rail voltage.

_-_-bear

no need. if there is a voltages peak at turn on, there is no problem. 50V caps can withstand peaks up to maybe 60V and the differnce from no load to loaded is about 2V. if it is much more, your transformer is way to smal.

Sure... Andrew, you go ahead and "prove" it. Go ahead and try to collect. Ha ha.

AudioSan, the caps may well withstand peak voltages far in excess of what the label on the cap says. But I am here to tell you that the number one component that fails in most electronic gear, other than due to damages as the result of things like shorted outputs and other abuses is failures of capacitors.

I would NEVER use a cap rated at 50 volts working within 25% of the rated voltage in a POWER SUPPLY application like this. Never. You may, I would not. Sure it will likely work, and if you use high quality caps that also are actually able to handle a bunch more voltage and are conservatively rated and well built, intended to be used in circuits where there are stresses applied, they will work fine. But as a design rule, not for me thanks.

If I had an amp with a 40-49vdc rail, I would use a cap rated at 75wvdc at minimum. Not 50wvdc.

Ymmv. Mine is pretty stable on this.

_-_-bear

Sure... Andrew, you go ahead and "prove" it. Go ahead and try to collect. Ha ha.

AudioSan, the caps may well withstand peak voltages far in excess of what the label on the cap says. But I am here to tell you that the number one component that fails in most electronic gear, other than due to damages as the result of things like shorted outputs and other abuses is failures of capacitors.

I would NEVER use a cap rated at 50 volts working within 25% of the rated voltage in a POWER SUPPLY application like this. Never. You may, I would not. Sure it will likely work, and if you use high quality caps that also are actually able to handle a bunch more voltage and are conservatively rated and well built, intended to be used in circuits where there are stresses applied, they will work fine. But as a design rule, not for me thanks.

If I had an amp with a 40-49vdc rail, I would use a cap rated at 75wvdc at minimum. Not 50wvdc.

Ymmv. Mine is pretty stable on this.

_-_-bear

yes. ofcourse they are the number one.
thats becouse they dry out. couse for this is heat. they have a lifetime. only other component that has a lifetime is the transistors. about twice the lifetime. so caps will b the first to fail in any amp. this one or that one, or what ever one.
and 75V caps on 49V supply? why not 63V caps?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.