F5 Turbo Circuit Boards

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
are you allowing for 3A bias at +-24Vdc from each half of the balanced amplifier?
i.e. 288W dissipation per channel.

3A bias gives ~ 6Apk of ClassA and results in 36W of ClassA into 2r0. This when feeding a 4r0 load from the two halves of the balanced is roughly 72W of ClassA into 4r0. Double the power into double the load impedance.

Working back from your 200W into 4r0 balanced, needs 100W into 2r0 from each half.

That requires a ClassAB output of 20Vpk and 10Apk. Probably a sensible target from +-24Vdc rails biased to a total current of 6A.

Last edited:
beetle. (bias x2) x (bias x2) x impedance /2.
so say 2A bias. it is 4 x 4 x 2 / 2 = 16W class A at 2ohm

or 64 W @8ohm

So ~3A bias 24V rails then. I would assume that Modushop 5U 500 has not the right sinks for 576W per channel. Or does it?

1kva 18V toroid will be costly. Any good source in Europe?

I would expect a total power of up to 200W in 4 ohm Class B and 36W class A. Right?

32 watts ...

are you allowing for 3A bias at +-24Vdc from each half of the balanced amplifier?
i.e. 288W dissipation per channel.

3A bias gives ~ 6Apk of ClassA and results in 36W of ClassA into 2r0. This when feeding a 4r0 load from the two halves of the balanced is roughly 72W of ClassA into 4r0. Double the power into double the load impedance.

Working back from your 200W into 4r0 balanced, needs 100W into 2r0 from each half.

That requires a ClassAB output of 20Vpk and 10Apk. Probably a sensible target from +-24Vdc rails biased to a total current of 6A.

Aren't the speakers seeing the double voltage when bridged?

Bridging means that one amp is inverted or the signal. Current will remain the same but voltage is double.

Besides this a little, still learning. In this case we have a push pull amp. In this particular F5 design the first stage is splitting the signal in two halves. One inverted. The F5 is class A up to the bias. Then it transitions to class B. I think this describes it well: Push pull amplifier, working and theory. Class A , Class B , Class AB circuit diagram

Still learning. ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.