F5 Turbo Circuit Boards - Page 54 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd February 2012, 10:02 PM   #531
rdk845 is offline rdk845  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKToecutter View Post
How about another board option comprising a single MOSFET / diode section with the option for a thyristor?
That will certainly work for me! That is as long as there are not too many options for you to handle group buy or to increase costs of initial lot to the point that they are not tested...
Old 22nd February 2012, 10:02 PM   #532
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
Mmm, how about connecting all the parts with twisted jumper wires ?
Old 22nd February 2012, 10:27 PM   #533
Horio is offline Horio  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeVee View Post
Andy you have done a sterling job on the Amp boards...let's see what the global feeling is on an alternate big cap PSU board....i'll give you a hand if you need

Andy, I can't agree with CeeVee enough. I really appreciate you taking on the board design, and being so diplomatic about it. Posting your layouts, allowing people to give their input, and incorporating their ideas is really what this site is all about. As a result, your board layouts have really come along very nicely. You can't please everyone, but I think you've covered 90% of us.

A big cap PSU board would be a nice second PSU option if you are willing to offer one. I'm sure it would attract a good amount of interest.

Thanks again!

Last edited by Horio; 22nd February 2012 at 10:32 PM.
Old 22nd February 2012, 10:38 PM   #534
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
Sin Bin

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKToecutter View Post
Would you all like an alternative PSU?
I've no problem with that and I don't take it personal.
The PSU board is true to Nelson's schematic but I know alot of you plan to do your own whether they be CRC CC CLC is a matter of personal preference.
If there is a consensus I'm happy to accomodate.
Andy great work on everything.....

Me tinks the PSU board may never get consensus, as some want CLC , Some CRC, so offering the board in NP original form will not work for most and apparently some will have to roll their own due to cap size etc. Myself, I already have caps for this and they are big , so i would not use the boards as designed , but i will purchase anyway as to keep for future builds as then maybe i will have smaller caps to fit such a board.

So, it's going to be difficult to do a one size fits all board because of the large variety of caps being used, maybe concentrate on doing just a rectifier /resistor board were the caps can be wired in...

Thought's ....?
Old 22nd February 2012, 11:05 PM   #535
Rush is offline Rush  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horio View Post
Andy, I can't agree with CeeVee enough. I really appreciate you taking on the board design, and being so diplomatic about it. Posting your layouts, allowing people to give their input, and incorporating their ideas is really what this site is all about. As a result, your board layouts have really come along very nicely. You can't please everyone, but I think you've covered 90% of us.

A big cap PSU board would be a nice second PSU option if you are willing to offer one. I'm sure it would attract a good amount of interest.

Thanks again!
Andy,

I too appreciate your efforts and flexibility.
I would like to see a PS board with bigger caps, but I am afraid all the options will reduce the GB to less than the 100 units needed for any one board.

I still want 2 stereo amps worth of boards, might do a V2 and a V3.
I can do the separate output boards and the input board for both amps, so as to keep the number of boards down, without limiting the options.

Rush
Thank you again!
Old 23rd February 2012, 02:53 AM   #536
labjr is offline labjr  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks Andy for the effort. Definitely worth the time it takes to work things out so it will benefit more people. So no rush.

As for the capacitor board. I'd think most people will build it with resistors, the way Nelson does, but I guess, make it as universal as possible. I'd say Snap-in type caps with 10 mm pin distance are what I see most people and companies using on a circuit board. I don't know how you would adapt the board to take multiple types of other caps.

Seems like universal V2/V3 input and output boards will keep the number of boards to a minimum. Possibly even use the same output board for P&N outputs which can also be used for V2 stereo or V3 mono project by rearranging devices and or jumpers. But then again may cause some confusion and not sure if it would save money to have them manufactured that way. Since both boards Could be made as one anyway then scored to break in half.

Not sure how many would be interested in separate boards for each output device and diode. Since it would involve a lot of wiring together. Maybe take a survey to see how much interest.

Thanks again.
Old 23rd February 2012, 03:45 AM   #537
diyAudio Member

if someone want to use CLC they can just hardwire the choke from one of the resistor points. no need to do anything about that. and only about 1 of 10 will do it.
however. a more universal use of rectifiers can be nice. maybe hardwire some others if one likes. (it can be done with jumpers. but then you need to know what your doing). and bleeder resistors(can not see any).

Last edited by AudioSan; 23rd February 2012 at 03:47 AM.
Old 23rd February 2012, 03:59 AM   #538
skiz is offline skiz  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdlsys View Post
I'm rather new around here so my apologies in advance for a possibly daft question.
Which software did you use for this PCB design? Everybody else, please chip in - is there such a thing as strongly preferred/standard package? Free?
Thanks, Mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bksabath View Post
There is a free download called Design spark it has all the funtionality of
Easypc which I have bought for £350 and even beter components library
It was made in collaboration with RS components.
DesignSpark PCB is definitely the way to go if youre a hobbyist. Its free and fully functional rather than having the limitations of a free version such as Eagle, which is what I used to use.

Its got a lot of nice features such as rendering 3D models of your PCB, etc. The list goes on.

Very highly recommended.

Link --> DesignSpark | The gateway to online resources and design support for engineers
Old 23rd February 2012, 04:04 AM   #539
diyAudio Member

put me down for 4 amp / 4 ps thanks
Old 23rd February 2012, 04:55 AM   #540
JZatopa is offline JZatopa  United States
diyAudio Member

It's great that you are working on boards but one of the things that made the current F5 boards so great was not just their lay out but all the literature that accompanied them. Would someone be willing to do a step by step build up of an amp, using the boards + where they got all their parts + assembly? I would love to but I am definitively not qualified to do such a thing and I am not planing on building an amp anytime soon.

Hide this!Advertise here!