Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th May 2012, 12:07 AM   #1481
nrg2009 is offline nrg2009  United States
diyAudio Member

Great, what a nice collaborative effort across continents!! You realize how hard this is to do in business and we are doing it here! ;-)
Old 15th May 2012, 12:14 AM   #1482
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Variac View Post
We'll Shortly update Toecutter's spreadsheet and announce it here when you should go review the spreadsheet and confirm your interest.
Mark
so these aren't going to be available in the diyaudio store . just to some people that had signed up on a spreadsheet i've never seen ?

sorry just trying to understand .

cheers Woody
Old 15th May 2012, 12:31 AM   #1483
Variac is offline Variac  United States
diyAudio Editor

No, the spreadsheet is to gauge interest in different options. However it was started with the intent of it becoming an order form I think. Now, we'll decide on the options (the new design is more versatile IMHO so there will be less need for so many options.) and post the "winning" board options in the store where you can order them. All boards will come from the store. There was interest in hundreds of boards. Seems that it might be best to do a first run of about 100 or so to make sure the board is perfect. People willing to risk it will be able to sign up and pre-order at the store, and the boards will be sent out as soon as they arrive. The more cautious can then order from the second batch. That's the plan for now.
Old 15th May 2012, 01:39 AM   #1484
diyAudio Member

Variac, I'm a huge fan. I will try to make it to SF in October.
Old 16th May 2012, 07:39 AM   #1485
diyAudio Editor

Ok for that kind remark, here's exclusive news that hasn't been announced yet anywhere, with a Netherlands angle:

Bruno Putzeys the Class D guru at Hypex, will give a presentation at Burning amp!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrg2009 View Post
Variac, I'm a huge fan. I will try to make it to SF in October.

Last edited by Variac; 16th May 2012 at 07:48 AM.
Old 17th May 2012, 07:56 PM   #1486
SRMcGee is offline SRMcGee  United States
diyAudio Member

Folks:

I'm not well educated in the heat abatement requirements of Class A amps but am planning on building a couple of F5 Turbo V3 amps -- one will likely be a stereo amp (in the HiFi2000 5U/400mm chassis) and the other a set of monoblocks (probably in two of the same enclosure). Given my lack of experience, I'm disinclined to stretch the outside of the envelope any more than necessary. As a result, I've reconsidered my opposition to forced air cooling in the stereo F5 Turbo amp and am thinking about using a single 80mm super quiet fan operating at low speed. The top and bottom panels on the chassis are expected to either have HiFi2000's standard venting (4 rows) or, if it is readily available, the 6 vented row option.

My question: is it reasonable to assume that such a fan, mounted squarely in the center of the rear panel, would facilitate even cooling throughout the interior of the chassis or is it likely that there will be "hot spots" where the air circulates and cools less. If the latter, would you expect any unevenness in the cooling to adversely affect the MOSFETs' operation?

Your feedback is appreciated.

Regards,
Scott
Old 17th May 2012, 08:48 PM   #1487
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Ok for that kind remark, here's exclusive news that hasn't been announced yet anywhere, with a Netherlands angle:

Bruno Putzeys the Class D guru at Hypex, will give a presentation at Burning amp!
Awesome!! I can't wait!
Old 17th May 2012, 08:55 PM   #1488
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Yes, We're working with UKToecutter. So far his boards fit the Universal Mounting Standard. Now he's debugging them. Since the general concept has been/is being tested
he is quite confident they'll be right. We'll Shortly update Toecutter's spreadsheet and announce it here when you should go review the spreadsheet and confirm your interest.
Mark
Quote:
No, the spreadsheet is to gauge interest in different options. However it was started with the intent of it becoming an order form I think. Now, we'll decide on the options (the new design is more versatile IMHO so there will be less need for so many options.) and post the "winning" board options in the store where you can order them. All boards will come from the store. There was interest in hundreds of boards. Seems that it might be best to do a first run of about 100 or so to make sure the board is perfect. People willing to risk it will be able to sign up and pre-order at the store, and the boards will be sent out as soon as they arrive. The more cautious can then order from the second batch. That's the plan for now.
Great Mark , Toe cutter, Timeline .....?
Old 17th May 2012, 09:16 PM   #1489
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRMcGee View Post
Folks:

I'm not well educated in the heat abatement requirements of Class A amps but am planning on building a couple of F5 Turbo V3 amps -- one will likely be a stereo amp (in the HiFi2000 5U/400mm chassis) and the other a set of monoblocks (probably in two of the same enclosure). Given my lack of experience, I'm disinclined to stretch the outside of the envelope any more than necessary. As a result, I've reconsidered my opposition to forced air cooling in the stereo F5 Turbo amp and am thinking about using a single 80mm super quiet fan operating at low speed. The top and bottom panels on the chassis are expected to either have HiFi2000's standard venting (4 rows) or, if it is readily available, the 6 vented row option.

My question: is it reasonable to assume that such a fan, mounted squarely in the center of the rear panel, would facilitate even cooling throughout the interior of the chassis or is it likely that there will be "hot spots" where the air circulates and cools less. If the latter, would you expect any unevenness in the cooling to adversely affect the MOSFETs' operation?

Your feedback is appreciated.

Regards,
Scott
any fan based air movement inside the case or across the heat-sink will work wonders for your temperature level.
Old 17th May 2012, 09:52 PM   #1490
diyAudio Editor

I've never tried this, but I've always been tempted to drill holes between each fin of the heatsinks through the base plate into the interior of the amp. Then have a fan mounted in the top inside of the cover with no other opening, oriented to pressurize the internal space creating a plenum. The air would exit between the fins "scrubbing" off the hot air next to the fin surface. If the fan fails, or has a thermal switch cutting in and out as needed, the fan hole would vent internal air.

I cleverly have a friend with a milling machine, which would make it a lot easier than drilling like 150 holes so will probably give it a try.
Easiest way would be to mill grooves through the backplate side to side from the inside. Opposite the direction of the fins. But they would have to be staggered or something because a long side to side slot would stop heat from spreading through the heatsink base

Last edited by Variac; 18th May 2012 at 12:12 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!