MBR20200 diodes in the bridge

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have some MBR20200 Shottky diodes on hand and would like to build bridge rectifier with them for my AlephX. There are two single (10 Amp) diodes in TO220 pack. The amp drows about 4 Amp current (one channel) and has seperately PSU’s for each channel. I guess use of single diodes only in the bridge may be insufficient. My question is, it is possible to use both diodes from one pack paralelly and use four packs in the bridge?

Yeah, that works. I made a single bridge for one channel of A-X using 4pcs of MBR3045. The middle pin is shared, so all you have to do is connect the other two pins together, and you've got a single diode of double the current rating. Current sharing should be pretty good, as they're on the same die (I think) and thus should be closely matched within a single device. Check out my P2P construction here. A bit hasty, but it is just a test amp...

Attachments

• ax_bridge.jpg
    ax_bridge.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 503
Mur20200 Diodes

I am using those in my last project. Using both sections to double the current rating did not appeal to me. I prefer a single diode in a bridge circuit.
Using both diodes should double the amount of switching noise and the small differences in Vf could negate the advantages. But this is just my humble opinion.

George

I will read datasheet

jarek said:

Panelhead: According to the datasheet, MBR20200’s are designed for dual operation – all parameters treat to parallel connection of diodes.

In that is the case, I will hook up the other section for the 12 diodes in my amp. I used them for the two bridge rectifiers and for the bridge on the ground leg.
Since mine are only running at 1.5 amps per channel it may not be audilble. But it should not hurt anything either.
A friend who understands circuits much better than I do, recommends huge standard rectifiers. He feels the lower resistance is more important than speed or soft recovery. He would use a 100 amp single bridge for this.
In tube amps the switching noise is easier to hear. I changed the 1 amp diodes in a vintage amp for 3 amp and the buzzing was annoying. I always try to remember this when choosing diodes nowdays.
Anyway, next time I pull my amp down I will rig this up. If it is better or worse I will report it.

George

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.