Alpeh 5 - minimum speaker impedance load?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All
I'm trying to find some clarification on the minimum load an Aleph 5 can drive.
The scenario is this , I have just completed some new ribbon speakers (26" x1") which are currently being driven by my Aleph 5 via an impedence matching transformer from apprx 500hz up (DCX2496 crossover)

Whilst it sounds great (brilliant actually!) I cant help but wonder what it would be like to direct drive the ribbon.

In this case I would like to try substituting a resistor for the transformer and wonder how low I should go in resistance.
(8 ohm resistor works but very low volume compared to the transformer..)

So should i try 1 , or 3 ohms or so , hopefully also avoiding any possible damage to the aleph output stage...

or.........

will the upcoming F5 turbo be able to drive such beasts directly.?

Any comments appreciated

Thanks in advance.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
decreased power of Aleph will be issue much earlier than jeopardy of damage it with low load

even in the case of short on output - Aleph will survive , 'till thermal breakdown .......... significantly later

you can always try some big honkin' 110/220 autoformer , connected appropriately

you can search for experience of ppl using so called Zero-xformers (mostly guys with OTL tube amps)

Hi All
I'm trying to find some clarification on the minimum load an Aleph 5 can drive.
The scenario is this , I have just completed some new ribbon speakers (26" x1") which are currently being driven by my Aleph 5 via an impedence matching transformer from apprx 500hz up (DCX2496 crossover)

Whilst it sounds great (brilliant actually!) I cant help but wonder what it would be like to direct drive the ribbon.

In this case I would like to try substituting a resistor for the transformer and wonder how low I should go in resistance.
(8 ohm resistor works but very low volume compared to the transformer..)

So should i try 1 , or 3 ohms or so , hopefully also avoiding any possible damage to the aleph output stage...

or.........

will the upcoming F5 turbo be able to drive such beasts directly.?

Any comments appreciated

Thanks in advance.

Anything over 1 ohm will kill the dynamics , anything below 3 may kill the amp:)

Use 1 ohm ....................... :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.