Converting a Threshold S300 to SA/3?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Threshold s/300

Can you guys help here a little. My Nakamichi PA-7 gave up the ghost in a rather large and smoky manner. So i bought a Threshold s/300 in mint condition. Optical bias, serial # 2004. How do I find out its manufacture date? Where do I get a schematic/ service manual? Although the amp is working fine, I would like to go through it and replace caps, any known noisy transistors etc. i am an amateur electronics hobbyist, so this should be no problem. Any suggestions on what should be done and what replacement parts to use? I will be pairing this up to a very rare set of RTR DR-1's, again in mint condition. Rich rmatlantis@cox.net

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Here's what I have.

Attachments

• THR 89A.jpg
    THR 89A.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 316
  • THR 89B.jpg
    THR 89B.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 320
I think bias may be the key to better sound. I have an old pair of SA/1s, circa 1986, non-opto and I replaced the transformer with a 2.4kva unit and the 2 60k uf caps with 8 95k uf caps with a 2.2 mf larger wire gage inductor between sets of 2 for a CLC configuration. Had to stretch the chassis to hold all those caps.

With the Sinks at 42C as before it sounded about the same, still great, but then at almost double the bias the sinks stabilized at 50C and the sound was more open and maybe a little sweeter if I can use that term for audio, it was damn good.

The output devices can easily stand more current, just watch the temps.
Have a good one.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.