Wattage of Pass F5

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I think you read my posting on the F5 build thread.

My speakers are power hungry, as are most of the B&W family.

The guy that built that F5 was after LOUD, and the F5 doesn't really do LOUD, it is better in the FIRST-WATT fraternity providing BRILLIANT musical quality at MODERATE levels.

What he called LOUD was probably deafening. I've measured the power into my speakers at COMFORTABLY LOUD and its only about 6W RMS.

My E waves, and also needless to say the A7s will get VERY loud!

Russellc

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
I have 50watt(AB)
always plenty of power

apart from those few crazy days when I get the urge to play really loud
and it ussually ends at full crancked volume
but then distortion gets annoying
and still not what I would call really loud

then I back off a bit, and decide its loud enough, and clean

but to make it bloddy sceaming loud, you will probably need 100watt minimum
and then most likely still loose a good part of the important quality
also consider that your room 'distorts' the sound more at louder SPL
and speakers distortion rise, both the drivers and crossovers

I think its just a bad listening habbit, or a party thing
or some strange need to try and impress someone
well, just my personal opinion about playing too loud
or me getting older :eek:
still like it loud tho, so its probably good I only have small power amps :D

The F5 is truly lovely at LOW volume with VERY EFFICIENT speakers.

At 25W it will clip early into the program at anything about COMFORTABLY LOUD.

:confused:

I presume that your "very efficient" speakers aren't really "very efficient". With my loudspeakers (96dB 1W/1m) I can get up to 106dB on my sofa. Except if the listener are deaf, is more than enough for a loud listening :smash:

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
People who say the F5 doesn't go loud are either using inefficient speakers or have skipped the preamp. Also, everyone should read the F5 article. It clearly states that it can deliver upto 54W in class AB as the single output device delivers all the current to the load.

People who say the F5 doesn't go loud are either using inefficient speakers or have skipped the preamp. Also, everyone should read the F5 article. It clearly states that it can deliver upto 54W in class AB as the single output device delivers all the current to the load.

Can you point me to the F5 specifications article which you are referring to.

Thanks
pandu

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
"The power of 2.6 amps into 8 ohms is I^2 * R, or 2.6 * 2.6 * 8 = 54 watts. This is the peak
value, and the nature of an undistorted sine wave is that the peak wattage is twice the
average, so this circuit would operate 27 watts average Class A into 8 ohms. At currents
above 2.6 amps one of the transistors will shut off, leaving the other to continue to increase
beyond the 2.6 amps in what is known as Class AB."

I don't have to say who said that, right? :D

"The power of 2.6 amps into 8 ohms is I^2 * R, or 2.6 * 2.6 * 8 = 54 watts. This is the peak
value, and the nature of an undistorted sine wave is that the peak wattage is twice the
average, so this circuit would operate 27 watts average Class A into 8 ohms. At currents
above 2.6 amps one of the transistors will shut off, leaving the other to continue to increase
beyond the 2.6 amps in what is known as Class AB."

I don't have to say who said that, right? :D

What happens in case of double output mosfets.

Thanks
pandu

Do you guys think that the F5 would be in a position to drive the Spendor S8e speakers to normal listening volumes?

Sensitivity of these is stated @ 89db, nominal impedance @ 8 ohms.

I currently run a digital front end (output 2V rms) into B1 (no gain) into F5 into 96dB/W speakers (8 Ohm). My B1 potentiometers are usually at 8 or 9 o'çlock, so I am throwing away most of the input to the B1. If I listen LOUD I do not get above 10 o'clock. Room is 5m x 8m.

I currently run a digital front end (output 2V rms) into B1 (no gain) into F5 into 96dB/W speakers (8 Ohm). My B1 potentiometers are usually at 8 or 9 o'çlock, so I am throwing away most of the input to the B1. If I listen LOUD I do not get above 10 o'clock. Room is 5m x 8m.

96db is a world appart from my 89ish...

In every single review I have read of the Spendors - there are plenty still arround - they were hooked onto monster amps, both watt and current wise... suspicious...

My situation is different. I usually (90% of the time) listen to minuscule listening levels. Wisper - level. Think of my X2 preamp on the first or second click - yes from the left. Nine o clock would be my party mood if I was able to get there. Small house - many people in it, I usually arrive last when everyone is dead tired or asleep... my listening session will start when most humans in the house are asleep - maybe one will still be up ironing baby clothes mountain.

This is where the F5 will be called to deliver. Question is: will he?

96db is a world appart from my 89ish...

My situation is different. I usually (90% of the time) listen to minuscule listening levels. Wisper - level. Think of my X2 preamp on the first or second click - yes from the left. Nine o clock would be my party mood if I was able to get there. Small house - many people in it, I usually arrive last when everyone is dead tired or asleep... my listening session will start when most humans in the house are asleep - maybe one will still be up ironing baby clothes mountain.

This is where the F5 will be called to deliver. Question is: will he?

I throw signal away because I have too much gain, even with zero gain with the B1.
You need more gain but have plenty of gain with the X2.

What I win on sensitivity of speakers (7dB), you easily win in gain of preamp.

Edit:
I used to listen to an original Aleph 3 on 83-85dB Magnepan MGIIIa's. Fantastic at low levels. Ran out of steam for anything a bit louder.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.