Wattage of Pass F5

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Please read the full thread.

YES, I do enjoy my music comfortably loud. Not excessively loud but I get no clipping with a nice 6W RMS background.

As AndrewT states, even at that modest volume, musical peaks will exceed 600W.

The Aleph 4 is a brilliant amplifier, easy to build and very easy on the ears.

I sold my Mark Levinson 60W/Ch Class A because it was "Horrible" in comparison.

Thanks for the reference ........

I read your post. it refers to F5x model. It says balanced version of amplifier. Does it mean that the preamp needs to have balanced outputs.Thankspandu
No. I did not mean the F5X. That was a reply I got by someone else.
The F4 (factory model) supports monoblock use from balanced inputs. L and R become + and - of one channel. Two F4's needed for stereo.
I originally wondered if that could be done with F5 as well. I could not see any reason why not, but am not an engineer so wanted to make sure.
Guess the answer is YES! Who needs a Turbo when you can supercharge?

I have 50watt(AB)
always plenty of power

apart from those few crazy days when I get the urge to play really loud
and it ussually ends at full crancked volume
but then distortion gets annoying
and still not what I would call really loud

then I back off a bit, and decide its loud enough, and clean

but to make it bloddy sceaming loud, you will probably need 100watt minimum
and then most likely still loose a good part of the important quality
also consider that your room 'distorts' the sound more at louder SPL
and speakers distortion rise, both the drivers and crossovers

I think its just a bad listening habbit, or a party thing
or some strange need to try and impress someone
well, just my personal opinion about playing too loud
or me getting older :eek:
still like it loud tho, so its probably good I only have small power amps :D

It's not about playing loud tinny, it about not having dynamic compression and yes I can believe some here could drive me out of the room with only 25 watts...:D

No. I did not mean the F5X. That was a reply I got by someone else.
The F4 (factory model) supports monoblock use from balanced inputs. L and R become + and - of one channel. Two F4's needed for stereo.
I originally wondered if that could be done with F5 as well. I could not see any reason why not, but am not an engineer so wanted to make sure.
Guess the answer is YES! Who needs a Turbo when you can supercharge?

If U want to think u are fast supercharge, if u want to really be fast, turbocharge....;)

:confused:

I presume that your "very efficient" speakers aren't really "very efficient". With my loudspeakers (96dB 1W/1m) I can get up to 106dB on my sofa. Except if the listener are deaf, is more than enough for a loud listening :smash:

Sorry but you mis-understood my post.

My speakers are INEFFICIENT - they wouldn't suit the F5.

I stated that the F5 is best suited to someone with EFFICIENT speakers.

96dB/W is "Efficient" relatively speaking, be careful how the sensistivity has been measured though. Some manufacturers are blinding us with misleading figures.

Sorry but you mis-understood my post.

My speakers are INEFFICIENT - they wouldn't suit the F5.

I stated that the F5 is best suited to someone with EFFICIENT speakers.

96dB/W is "Efficient" relatively speaking, be careful how the sensistivity has been measured though. Some manufacturers are blinding us with misleading figures.

Sorry for the misunderstood.

I'm the manufacturer (measured by myself) :D

In any Class A amplifier, as you push up the power you will push up the heat and the weight.

Bigger Transformers and Bigger Heatsinks.

This will ultimately push up the cost.

Some of this can be offset by using an amplifier that runs in Class A up to a point and then adopts Class B.

If you listen at low volume you will have the advantage of Class A performance and still have the headroom of the Class B, without the drawback of needing huge heatsinks.

Some of this can be offset by using an amplifier that runs in Class A up to a point and then adopts Class B.
most of the lesser Pass amps will run in Class A to a certain point and then continue on in Class A/B.
The Aleph 4 probably runs into Class AB at over 100W
with a nice 6W RMS background, even at that modest volume, musical peaks will exceed 600W.

Are you sure about that ?

The Aleph 4 definitely runs in true Class A up to 100W.

Above that I'm not sure.

The rails are capable of more so I presume it will peak above 100W in Class A/B.

Not sure of the point that you are trying to make except being argumentative.

If you go to the Pass site you can view the specs of most of Nelsons amps. Most are quoted to run at Class A up to a point then Class B.

Last edited:
Single-ended amps clip both on rail voltage and current limit.

The Aleph 4 can do a little above 40V peak, which complies with 100W continuous in 8 ohm.
Max output current of the Aleph 4 is set by the bias level, divided by the set AC current gain factor of the dynamic bias thingus.
For the standard factor of 0.5, that makes about 5 Amps.

Also means your Aleph 4 can do 40V peak times 5A Max, makes about 200W peak output.
Which is just a wee bit lower than 600W continuous.
My Aleph 0S does Class AB, so does the Null mono, the Aleph 1.0 and 1.1.
For push-pull AB you'd have to buy something newer from Paps.

(i've been downloading from the PL site since the very beginning, maybe a month after it went on the air, makes ~17-18 years)

Last edited:
Single-ended amps clip both on rail voltage and current limit.

The Aleph 4 can do a little above 40V peak, which complies with 100W continuous in 8 ohm.
Max output current of the Aleph 4 is set by the bias level, divided by the set AC current gain factor of the dynamic bias thingus.
For the standard factor of 0.5, that makes about 5 Amps.

Also means your Aleph 4 can do 40V peak times 5A Max, makes about 200W peak output.
Which is just a wee bit lower than 600W continuous.
My Aleph 0S does Class AB, so does the Null mono, the Aleph 1.0 and 1.1.
For push-pull AB you'd have to buy something newer from Paps.

(i've been downloading from the PL site since the very beginning, maybe a month after it went on the air, makes ~17-18 years)

So finally you agree then.

As I thought the Aleph 4 runs at 100W continuous Class A but will keep going into Class B.

I originally thought it might top out at 160W or so.

Nope, the Aleph 4 isn't capable of Push-Pull operation, and Single Ended does not do Class AB.

Your amp does way less than 100W continuous in 6 Ohm, even less in 4 Ohm, and really suck in 2 Ohm.
An F5 pumps out more amps if needed than an Aleph 4.

Smarter choice for your B&W loudspeakers would have been to build the Volksamp 60, does 8 Amps Max and 100W in 4 Ohm.

Last edited:
Who said it works in Push-Pull.

My speakers are 8 Ohm.

I know its an SE design - you are just being argumentative.

You like whatever amp you've got.

I love my Aleph 4.

The Aleph suits my inefficioent B&Ws down to the ground.

The F5 just doesn't work with my speakers and my listening preferences.

You can argue all day and ultimately it comes down to choice.

I've made my choice and I'm happy to defend it and stick with it.

Last edited:
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Nope, the Aleph 4 isn't capable of Push-Pull operation, and Single Ended does not do Class AB.

Your amp does way less than 100W continuous in 6 Ohm, even less in 4 Ohm, and really suck in 2 Ohm.
An F5 pumps out more amps if needed than an Aleph 4.

Smarter choice for your B&W loudspeakers would have been to build the Volksamp 60, does 8 Amps Max and 100W in 4 Ohm.

I'm confused, school me please. I thought the Volksamp 60 was also single ended? How is it able to put out more into 4 ohms and the Aleph 4 not? Or did I misunderstand? Not trying to argue, just understand... Maybe I misunderstand the Volksamp 60's output, I thought it was a 60 watt into 8 ohms amp....maybe I am wrong there?

I am contemplating building Aleph 2, how does its output into 8 and 4 ohms compare to the volksamp 60? Thankyou for any response that will help me understand. Sorry if the tenor of my post sounds like I am in doubt of what you say, I am not...just struggleing to understand so I build the right amp!

Thanks in advance,

Russellc

Jacco is just being his normal self.

The Aleph 4 performs brilliantly into the DM683s.

Sometimes it doesn't come down to numbers you just have to experiment.

You need efficient speakers with an F5.

At the end of the day - If you like the sound - You have Nirvana.

Some people reach Nirvana with cheap amps - some of us strive higher.

Don't forget, I'm not pushing the Aleph 4 at 100W I'm using it at less than 10W RMS.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.