Wattage of Pass F5 - Page 10 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th January 2012, 08:16 PM   #91
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
Sin Bin

The quad is a 2 way ....

I'm sorry cannot concur with your observations, what you have described is a poorly designed multi-way speakers, more specifically there x-overs. Done correctly you could be standing less than 1 M away and cannot point out the drivers..

regards,

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramallo View Post
IMMO multiway = multi point sources = multi-problems.

I heard and adjusted (and made) dozens of multiway systems, and my feelings is the best one is the one way (But is very difficult to achive a good performance, my Quad ESL can, but the drawback are a low headroom), the second best is two way, the third best is three way.........

But is my taste
Old 25th January 2012, 08:22 PM   #92
ramallo is offline ramallo  Europe
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to ramallo
Quote:
Originally Posted by a.wayne View Post
The quad is a 2 way ....

I'm sorry cannot concur with your observations, what you have described is a poorly designed multi-way speakers, more specifically there x-overs. Done correctly you could be standing less than 1 M away and cannot point out the drivers..

regards,
One way (ESL63)

Part of my work is adjust PA systems, I heard everything, from poorly designed to well designed, this is the reason on my oppinion.

Regards
Old 25th January 2012, 08:29 PM   #93
diyAudio Member

Which Quad is 2way?
Old 25th January 2012, 08:32 PM   #94
ramallo is offline ramallo  Europe
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to ramallo
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShaman View Post
Which Quad is 2way?
ESL57
Old 25th January 2012, 08:34 PM   #95
Sin Bin

When you say Quad ... means "57" , all the others are ESL63, et al ....
Old 25th January 2012, 09:56 PM   #96
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I can believe that ... Poorly made/designed speakers, nothing to do with them being multi-way. Done right , no single speaker or 2 way will come close...

Much easier to get a 2 way correct.....................
I think we are mostly in agreement, 2 way is easier. That said, when I've listened to multiways done correctly, there seems to a limited area of the listening area that gets the really good treatment, and not so good out of sweet spot. The last several years I have really gotten a kick building 2-ways with larger pro type woofers and compression drivers on constant directivity wave guides. There is something to this constant directivity thing, with its ultra wide sweet spots and extremely stable imaging. The crossover MUST be properly designed for home hi fi use, removing the shout and inserting or designing in compensation to match the compression drivers sensitivity to that of the woofer, and at the same time flattening the high end response for proper extension. In the spirit of the Econowave speakers Zilch designed and built is what these 2 ways I refer to are.

With your multiways, are you talking DIY or factory built commercial speakers? What are some of you favorites? I am mainly interested in speakers with high sensitivity/effeciency, because of some of the amplification I have been using lately requires it.

Thanks for the banter and responses!

Russellc

Last edited by Russellc; 25th January 2012 at 10:06 PM.
Old 26th January 2012, 02:30 AM   #97
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdhanwada View Post
What happens in case of double output mosfets.

Thanks
pandu
Nothing much happens into an 8 ohm load. The quiescent current goes up if the amp is biased to the same voltage point. The power to the load is the same.

You could have 100 mosfets. Same.

Where more mosfets makes a difference is when you want to drive a LOWER Z load, because they require more current when the input voltage to the amp is the same (or the output swing is the same).

Someone figured the power based on the rail voltage. Take 1/2 the rail to rail voltage and multiply by 1.414 then apply ohms law. IF you want to spec it the same as all other amps are spec'd.

What I think some are losing sight of is that the gain of the F5 is rather a lot LOWER than a standard power amp. Most power amps tend to have about 25-6dB of gain. The F5 has about 10dB less gain. This makes it sound different than expected, the output level from the source has to be higher (that sounds different if it's a preamp with gain). And also how you build and bias the F5 causes rather substantial changes in the way it sounds.

Everyone is NOT listening to the same F5 amplifier!

_-_-bear
Old 26th January 2012, 02:50 AM   #98
Sin Bin

Bear ,

You have played around a bit with the F5, what setup worked best for you , as far as quiescent current , type of build parts , dual outputs or cascode version ....
Old 26th January 2012, 07:05 AM   #99
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramallo View Post
ESL57
Ok, sorry, thought someone was referring to the current models.
Old 26th January 2012, 11:57 AM   #100
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Bear ,

You have played around a bit with the F5, what setup worked best for you , as far as quiescent current , type of build parts , dual outputs or cascode version ....
Right. Wayne you asked my question right out of your hands.

Would like to know which one is better for 90 db 8 ohm speakers.

Standard, double output, cascode version.

Thanks
Pandu

Hide this!Advertise here!