F2J parts.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Oon,

With regards to your output cap have a look at this - only 63V (which is perfect in this circuit) but 470uF. It isn't cheap but at ~$30 but is maybe a 1/3 of the price of the 947c491k801cbms from Cornell Dubilier and would easily fit inside your chassis.

Audiocaps.co.uk - Arcotronics JSP

I don't know if they would ship out east, but you should be able to find other distributors closer to home.

Note: if you do decide to use audiocap.co.uk then they seem to be a good outfit - I ordered some capacitors and some clips from them, the clips were for different sized capacitors and they got in touch to make sure that I had not made a mistake when ordering which I thought was pretty good service.

It briefly passed my mind to use some of these in my F2J, but then I figured it would be ~$600 per channel for ~10000uF and then reality dawned :(

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the tip. I think you made a small calculation error. The
One I was looking at was a bit cheaper.

For some reasons not clear to me this one is a lot cheaper than the rest.

Think will stick to this one. All for non audio reasons.

1) I want to have the dubious honour of being the first person on this forum to use a 1kg capacitor. Also with both channels, my cap will be heavier than my tranny. It's all about the bragging rights. Assuming nobody else have already beaten me to it. The capacitor is 4 inch in diameter and 5 inch long.

2} the other factor is, the jfets was developed for power inverters, so was this capacitor. So I thought it makes an ironic story... the pair working together...

3) On a different side of the matter. Using a much smaller capacitor does not reduce the bass response for the f2j. Since it is a current source the current will be the same on all parts of a series circuit. However the increase in impedance will reduce your maximum power output. It will be limited by your maximum voltage swing. The impedance of the cap will become significant at about 40Hz. So if you want to try it I believe the one 490uF you saw at the website will work. 2 might be better but 1 will be OK... In fact if you look up most op amp based low power single rail amplifier it is only about 1000 to 200 uF

Oon

Oon
Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Interesting. It shows up s $27 in my part of the world. Maybe it is locality dependent. I chose that particular one because it was instock in Singapore. Maybe if you had chosen one that was in the UK, it might be cheap on your side and expensive in mine...

Oon

Hey you can try it too. The one you suggested is of the same value. And it doesn't cost much. And as I have mentioned, in a current source amplifier unlike a voltage source amp, the current is identical everywhere in a series circuit. So there is no roll off in the bass like a normal voltage amp. Just a limitation in power output in the lower bass region....

Oon

Hi djnubz,

I think the essence of it is the performance will be quite varied and unpredictable. So no matter what one says, you can't generalise for the rest. The issue here lies with the impedance curve for the speaker which will roughly translate to the 'frequency' response. So the peaks of the curve will become peaks in the frequency response. That is why it works better for simple single drivers. At least one can predict the impedance and hence compensate for it..

Oon

Alright. I finally got around to finish it. I must say the sound is gorgeous. The way it fills up the room with somuch emotion...

Picture included. Yup those two black things are my 490uf output caps.. polyproplene....

I stack my claim as the person who has used the biggest caps there is in his F amp...

Oon

Joined 2017
Paid Member
Reviving an old thread... Are there any power JFETs currently available for building a F2J?

Specifically, I was interested in the UJ3N065080K3S by United SIC. Would this be a viable option for the F2J? If this isn't a reasonable alternative, is there anything else available that I'm missing?

To expand on this, even if it won't perform as well as the original SemiSouth JFETs, would it be an improvement over a MOSFET based F2?

If this has been answered already, I apologize. I've spent a few hours searching and reading threads but couldn't seem to find an answer.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.