Aleph with BrianGT boards

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I realize this thread goes back a little over a year but I'm in the same boat. i have the BGT boards also and wanting to build an Aleph. Correct me if I'm wrong but this board set could be used to build any of the Alephs correct? At least the Vgain stages are the same that I can tell from KK schematics online. I'm interested in building Aleph 4 which I believe is stereo 100W/channel??? Would love some feedback from someone that has used this boardset. Also wondering about the prior post showing red x on un-used or not needed parts.
Thanks

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Freecrowder - Yes, you can use those boards to build any version, just add more output boards as AudioSan says.

The first thing to do is determine how much heatsink you have/need. That will determine how much amp you can have. A decent rule of thumb is about 5X5 (or more) inches of finned heatsink per mosfet.

Yes, it adds up fast, and yes, anything more than about 40-50WPC needs to be monoblocks. (Unless you like enormous amp boxes)

OK, thanks for the replies guys. I know this is old thread. I plan on using vertical heatsinks from industrial drives. 24" H, 8.25 W, 2" deep fins. It will be vertical amp like a Mark Levinson. I have many more questions so I hope I don't impose. I want to use IRFP250 in the output stages because I have many laying around. Can I substitute those with out changing any other components? What is meant by the the BGT output boards not to DIY store spec. Is there some reason I can't use them. Finally are there some components on the front-end boards that are not used. Help is greatly appreciated. BTW I built the Pass A40 using same heatsinks and the temp on them are barely warm to the touch on a cool day. Is there a schematic showing part numbers for these boards?

I have these boards and I am deciding between doing the Aleph Mini or Aleph 30. The power supply BOM indicates that the Aleph 30 uses 22000uF capacitors and the mini Aleph uses 10000uF capacitors. Is there any downside to using the 22000uF capacitors for the Mini Aleph? I'd like to start on the power supply without worrying about if I am going to use it on the mini or the Aleph 30. Also it seems like the only real difference between the two are the output boards and I like the idea of upgrading a mini Aleph into an Aleph 30 in the future.

The boards basically come as is and there is a BOM on the chipamp.com site but not much else. I made some schematics of the power supply along with a few notes of some things I noticed about the board. Some of you might find them useful.

Attachments

• aleph-30-power-supply.pdf
    34.9 KB · Views: 218
  • mini-aleph-power-supply.pdf
    34.9 KB · Views: 184
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.