F5 Turbo ............. if only !!!!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Damn would be nice .....:D

Pass Labs’ engineer Wayne Colburn insisted that the name of their latest amplifier, the Xs, was not a pun. He spent over an hour detailing the 3-year design project that culminated in the company's $85,000/pair, solid-state, two-chassis-per-channel, class-A amplifier. Leaning on the 4.5-foot stack of the amplifier's stereo configuration, Wayne spoke about how the design was based on the results of an examination of transfer characteristics of a diverse set of gain devices, including tubes and SITs (silicon-carbide devices that are exclusive, we believe, to Pass Labs for use in audio). The output stage was designed to reproduce the transfer characteristics preferred by a panel of listeners, who lived with a variety of different output stages for a lengthy period of time.

Each Xs channel has two chassis, one for the power supply and the other for signal amplification. The amplifier acts as a voltage source, and is rated at 300W into 8 ohms, 600W into 4 ohms, and 1200W into 2 ohms. It is biased to ensure make certain that the amplifier remains in class-A mode into all loads. Each channel has 122 output devices with a total rating of 10kW, and the extensive heatsinking allows the Xs 300 to deliver 2kW into a load "all day long."

:eek:

:worship:

:$:

Attachments

• Pass turbo.jpg
    Pass turbo.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 1,664
Last edited:
hahahahahah

Nelson, you are the devil, better not let greenpeace get a hold of this :cheeky: that man better pray there isnt an earthquake, he could be crushed under the weight of a stereo amplifier. normally when people talk about the 'weight of sound' i dont think they have this in mind.

122 devices per channel? wow

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Errr OK, much easier now .... :D

I'm surprised you guys would attempt to market your own speakers along side the amplifiers, usually a no,no, as it usually chuffs off Speaker manufacturers and stop them from using Your products when promoting.

We did speakers at the request of a large distributor. It also works for a show if the sound is bad it is all ours and the reverse. If you use other equipment say showing your new turntable people want to know about the amps, cables, speakers etc. and your product gets lost.

The speakers are actually quite good but we still like lots of other peoples speakers.

Its not difficult to match the power MOS-FETs.

I've built an Aleph 4 which uses 4 x sextuplets. I got the 24 MOS-FETs out of batch of 50 .

All it takes is a bit of time.

If 50 aren't enough you can order extras 5 at a time and they will match into the ones that you already have.

They're only a couple of GBP each so its not impossible.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.