Building a Pearl 2

A regulated supply is overkill; building a scratch supply is fun & rewarding.

y4m70I3HlAs9UuMxqnOTBTahl7KuJLXgLWHJtnKKyKmJm2ykLkf__i3E6sPzA7g1__Qxad-YNlJu38QZvNjkW8su-129y5K92F5fg2xWd1xc20PG7p4YCwlyZec_GWbcNBSoT1v5VJWkZhsr5inDb-z6q4gvZC0-Ez4_MEVKVeua-t0cySO-a_nXmY1bDV85TYvOZ2JxpBITUBpqVhHX8HZIw

I spent the extra $1 each to add heat sinks to the fast diodes but they probably aren't necessary.

Best thing about DIY is it costs very little to take things the extra step. I throw way more capacitance than necessary into pretty much every power supply I build because, well as avdesignguru put it, for a few bucks more why not! That’s why I went dual mono from the rectifier diodes forward, why I went CLRC, etc... We fearless builders need not care about saving pennies per unit on parts costs like the commercial guys do!

Cheers,
Terry

Works really well

Thanks CodyT and McQuaide for your guidance.

The output Cap removal is done and I am happy to report good results.
Confirmed is the clearer treble, but additionally there appears increased clarity and definition in the upper and mid-bass areas.

A natural consequence is the more precise placement of instruments and singers in the sound stage.

Great modification and highly recommended especially as it is so easy to do.

Here’s a pic

Confirmed is the clearer treble, but additionally there appears increased clarity and definition in the upper and mid-bass areas.

A natural consequence is the more precise placement of instruments and singers in the sound stage.

I hear the same results from mine. There is also more HF "edge" to the sound, so I think there is a tradeoff. It may just be more of the natural sound of the cartridge and phono pre getting through. I find myself turning it down a bit more, but damn I'm re-playing my best sounding albums and hearing new things.

How about simply reducing the resistance loading on the cartridge?
I have not had time to explore, but that was my next move.

I hear the same results from mine. There is also more HF "edge" to the sound, so I think there is a tradeoff. It may just be more of the natural sound of the cartridge and phono pre getting through. I find myself turning it down a bit more, but damn I'm re-playing my best sounding albums and hearing new things.

I would view the recommended resistance and capacitance loadings from the cartridge manufacturer as a starting point. Then experiment a bit by increasing or decreasing each to see what happens. When my cartridge had too much capacitance loading, the treble was way too bright. Setting the capacitance to where the manufacturer recommended (about 125pF) required replacing the cables that were attached to my turn table and then adding a small capacitor to the front of my Pearl 2.

Joined 2019
Paid Member

Great to hear! :cheers:

hi,
I finished building pearl 2.
no noise, clean sound, tensions as a document.
however .... the sound is unbalanced towards the low frequencies.
it looks like a box sound to convey the idea.
what could I check?
jfets are matched but I have no idea if they are fake, can this be the cause?

thank you in advance.