Building a Pearl 2

Well after having the boards for years now, I was finally able to get everything together. I ended up with two housings, one for power and the other for the boards.

In the power supply box I have the power supply for the Pearl 2 boards, a power supply for the B1 and one for the TT motor drive board.

In the board chassis I have the Pearl 2 boards, the B1 and the TT Drive Controller board.
Plus some very big a$$ caps.

I have already set the test point to zero volts.

Now I will begin on the reassemble of the actual TT.

I just wish I would have done this years ago when I first purchased the Pearl boards but that is life.

Sorry the pics are upside down.

Attachments

• 6DFCD6E9-3BC6-4EC2-B40E-C8E89CDDB70F.jpg
    6DFCD6E9-3BC6-4EC2-B40E-C8E89CDDB70F.jpg
    623.6 KB · Views: 506
  • EBE652FE-58CB-43D9-98DE-8388225D00F5.jpg
    EBE652FE-58CB-43D9-98DE-8388225D00F5.jpg
    435 KB · Views: 493
  • D179CA49-0BFF-49C5-85C1-F84180A21DE1.jpeg
    D179CA49-0BFF-49C5-85C1-F84180A21DE1.jpeg
    942.6 KB · Views: 494
  • 534953C1-4560-43C0-904E-7CBFEC572E17.jpg
    534953C1-4560-43C0-904E-7CBFEC572E17.jpg
    333.8 KB · Views: 482
Thank you.

I have a few friends that have done this and love it.

I had the B1 up and running for years and than purchased the Pearls when they first hit the streets but just never got to them.

I am really glad I picked up that chassis from 6L6 many years ago since it fits everything in it.

I asked Wayne about it. He thought it was a fine idea. In fact, didn’t the same change occur in the new 2018 line stage boards?

I've been running my Pearl 2 for a couple of weeks now "naked", meaning no output coupling caps (the DC offset is zero). It sounds distinctly better than with the caps. The top end is incredibly crisp, extended, and clear. I hate to use the cliché "a veil has been lifted", but a veil has been lifted. :)

Joined 2019
Paid Member
I've been running my Pearl 2 for a couple of weeks now "naked", meaning no output coupling caps (the DC offset is zero). It sounds distinctly better than with the caps. The top end is incredibly crisp, extended, and clear. I hate to use the cliché "a veil has been lifted", but a veil has been lifted. :)

Great! That’s been my experience with this mod too.

So any ideas anyone, I have had other carts in my system & they were much quieter, so it may be something to do with the cart. I actually now have two AC-2's & they are both the same connected to the Pearl.
Cheers

This may be too obvious but have you added the 100 ohm resistor required for MC cartridges to position R20? You may also need more gain by replacing R14 with a lower value per Wayne's build guide.

This may be too obvious but have you added the 100 ohm resistor required for MC cartridges to position R20? You may also need more gain by replacing R14 with a lower value per Wayne's build guide.

50 Ohms minimum for the Acuphase AC2.

I wonder if genuine 2SK170/LSK170's were used, whether the power supply was built to spec. My Pearl 2 is extremely low noise and it mattered not whether built with the LMxx24, or with a Jung SR.

Copper foil is not as effective as a cookie tin, and two cookie tins like matryoshka dolls probably best. The ground plane of the Pearl is an antenna.

50 Ohms minimum for the Acuphase AC2.

I wonder if genuine 2SK170/LSK170's were used, whether the power supply was built to spec. My Pearl 2 is extremely low noise and it mattered not whether built with the LMxx24, or with a Jung SR.

Copper foil is not as effective as a cookie tin, and two cookie tins like matryoshka dolls probably best. The ground plane of the Pearl is an antenna.

His Pearl 2 used to be mine, and yes the Fets came from PassDIY. It has the Zobel on the input as well. Not sure what's going on with it and that cartridge, or what PS is connected.

Hi Codyt and McQuaide

I have followed with great interest in your elimination of Pearl2 output caps.
Is this simply a case of eliminating c13 with a wire and bypassing R14 with a lytic to achieve zero DC?

I would like to try this too.

tia