Building a Pearl 2 - Page 13 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th June 2013, 04:16 AM   #121
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVWERK View Post
Formosa
The Fidelity Research cart you are using is a very low .14 output and very old school. I have one of these also and temporarily used it to set my gain at first. You will get better sound out almost anything with slightly more output and certainly less hiss overall than this one.

Regards
David
It sure needs a lot of gain doesn't it! Much more than a koetsu for example... Which id love one day, or maybe something else a little more in my price range. I hear the denon 103R is quite capble. i wonder how it would compare to the FR. Honestly though i really love the sound of the FR, old school as it is.
Im a young chap, and it was a present from my uncle who runs a koetsu black on his cotter b1 sp10 which i would say is better than the fr, but in many ways comparable. The higher gain of another cart would certainly give better signal to noise.

Cheers!

Andrew Formosa
Old 11th June 2013, 08:33 AM   #122
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormosaWest View Post
Im leaning toward this very same conclusion! Thanks for the advise on the gain influence. I think you may be right there. If the gain was lower im sure it would attenuate the hiss even more... If i move on to a higher output cart in the future i might up the resistance to 600 or 1000k. ... Once my make-before-break switch arrives ill be able to hot swap them, so im looking forward to experimenting with that and some other higher output carts to achieve even better signal to noise.

Does your pearl sound as great as mine is starting to? If not before im definitely convinced of the "burn-in" concept.
I don't know about this burning in. I have not noticed sudden changes in sound signature and things like noise/hiss have been constant. I liked it when I first started it up, and still like it. Perceived changes could just as well be coming from getting accustomed to the sound of the Pearl.

A cartridge like a Goldring Eroica LX will give you much higher output and therefore better s/n ratio. You could then use 680 or 820 Ohm gain resistors. If the switch is not influencing the sound, it is a plus (I have to solder in a new resistor each time). Gain switchable 55/57.5/60/62.5 or something like that.
Old 11th June 2013, 09:27 AM   #123
diyAudio Member

Time to buy some records.
Old 12th June 2013, 01:31 AM   #124
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorrish View Post
Amen!
Old 12th June 2013, 06:00 AM   #125
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorrish View Post
Yep, that too
Old 14th June 2013, 03:36 PM   #126
diyAudio Member

I'm late to this discussion, but my Pearl II has mild hiss with no record playing, and mild voltage fluctuation at times (~30mv either way). It's been running for over a year and sounds fantastic; it recently bested Heed Quasar and Phonomena stages in a H2H matchup.

So I too would advise buttoning it up and playing records
Old 17th July 2013, 07:59 PM   #128
diyAudio Member

Ive found the best performance from my Fidelity research cart has been when i give it 3 to 6x the specified load impedance. For weeks i couldn't understand why i liked loading R-user with a higher r value than what the FR cart specified in the data sheet.

I tried to like the specified 10 ohm, but found the bass too thin and overall it wasn't rich and full sounding as i thought it ought to be. This is a very high performance cart! Then i stumbled across a long and well written article about resistance loading mc cartridges. The author stated that loading the cart with a higher r value than specified wasn't just recommended, but required. The author stated that it was a common misconception that carts should be loaded with the value printed in the cart info sheets. He stipulated that this spec refers to output impedance of the cart, and not what the input impedance of the phono-stage ought to be. He argued that using the printed resistance value fails to load the coils correctly leading to thin bass and unbalanced frequency response. His recommendation was to give it 3 to 6 times the r value of what is printed in the sheet! I dont understand all of these things that well, but it offered an explanation to why i liked my cart better at 30 or 50ohms.

I thought, Eureka! And I realized i wasn't crazy - my ears where telling me it was right to use 30 or 50 ohms when my brain was trying to argue i use 10ohms.

My suggestion to you is to try 300 ohms. Your carts specifies minimum 100, so id give it 300 based on that guideline to use 3 to 6x.

I wish i could refer you to that article, but i cannot recall where i read it.
Solder in a 300ohm resistor in the r user slot and give it a listen. Id love to hear about it
Old 17th August 2013, 01:35 AM   #129
diyAudio Member

Hello FormosaWest,
How are you liking your Pearl? I'm still trying to get my boards clothed in a nice chassis. Your chassis is real nice looking. Where did you get it from? It looks expensive.

Thanks,
Old 17th August 2013, 06:26 AM   #130
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifi-hospital View Post
Hello FormosaWest,
How are you liking your Pearl? I'm still trying to get my boards clothed in a nice chassis. Your chassis is real nice looking. Where did you get it from? It looks expensive.

Thanks,
Thanks!!
I absolutley LOVE the pearl 2. Im thrilled i managed to build onep and that it sounds so fantastic. Its only gotten better with time.
The cases are from HiFi2000.

Its an italian company. Their service is fantastic. They have several choices. The case is specifically called the "slimline" and it is the 2U height version. There is a 1u, 3u as well. The 2 unit one is the best heigh though. They have other cases as well. Different front panel choices are vaialable. I chose the 10mm front panel. I also got the interior base plate and the front fascade.
I used a regular bench top drill press, and regular quality titanium coated drill bits and bimetal hole saws to punch the holes. I used the slowest rpm setting on the drill press, and drilled patiently, clearing debris and lubing as needed to keep the bits sharp. I just used wd40 to wet/lube the drill bits. Square holes for the power input where drilled with a holes saw, and then filed square with a bastard file. I used a hand punch and hammer to start each drilling to prevent the bits from walking.

I used solid 24guage 99.999% silver for wiring, and stuffed it down teflon tubing. Woven Nylon expandable housing was used to protect the wiring and give it the pro look.

I highly recomend the hifi2000 cases. The company is fantastic, they have an english speaking representative, and delivery was actually fast.

Hide this!Advertise here!