Building a Pearl 2

Here's my process:
First I secure the board vertically in a vise. For resistors, I clamp a topside lead with a hemostat, apply pulling tension with my hand, apply the iron to bottom side of the pad and gently pry the component lead out of the hole with finger pressure. Repeat with the other lead.

I only use the solder sucker to clean out the hole after the wire is removed by applying it perpendicular and tight to one side of the board, with the iron on the other side. Works every time. Sucking the solder before pulling the lead just means there is no solder to transfer iron heat to the entire pad, creating an situation where the board gets burned.

Radial electrolytics and some transistors need their leads "walked" out of their holes, each lead a bit at a time. If you want to save a sensitive transistor or diode, you can use a heat sink clamp on the top side between the component body and the PCB while walking the lead out of the hole.

Jumping off from avdesignguru's process,

I've found that using the posts of the PCB vise to stabilize my hands while soldering helps a lot, i lightly rest the heel of my palm on each post as i apply heat and solder. (I use this one: 17010 Aven | Mouser)

Here's my process:
First I secure the board vertically in a vise. For resistors, I clamp a topside lead with a hemostat, apply pulling tension with my hand, apply the iron to bottom side of the pad and gently pry the component lead out of the hole with finger pressure. Repeat with the other lead.

I chose a 1U Galaxy chassis (40mm internal height), so after 30mm-tall caps and 3/16-inch standoffs plus the PCB, I’ve got maybe 3mm clearance to the underside of the top cover (steel). I suppose plopping something down on top could flex the cover and make contact. Would a strip of electrical tape on the underside above the caps be enough to prevent any grounding? Maybe a plastic post anchored dead center? Or is anything necessary? I read that the cap exteriors have a charge.

It’s always something apart 2: I have a switch on the power supply but had also planned a nice blue LED push button switch on the front of the Pearl 2. But as I grabbed the wires, I realized I don’t have a neutral and live to chose from, I have a + and a (-) to choose from, and that doesn’t work with a regular switch, right? I had a simple rocker switch to experiment with, and the PCBs both come on even + or - is interrupted. Shoulda thought of that.

Ideas?