How Far Can We Take this?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2000
Paid Member
We always seem to be waiting for the next best thing. Some technologies are a wide open road of possibilites, like computer technology, genetics, aerospace and women's swimwear. How far can analog amplification go?

There are only so many types of amplifier output classes. There are only a handful of voltage and current amplifiers. What about amplification devices? Can science improve on MosFets, Tubes, Bi-Polar? Is there something out there waiting to be discovered? Is there a ceiling to where no more improvements can be made?

Do you see an end of the line for analog amplification?

Joined 2003
Paid Member
vdi_nenna said:
What about amplification devices? Can science improve on MosFets, Tubes, Bi-Polar? Is there something out there waiting to be discovered?
Indeed, are there or will there be other devices that can amplify our voltages and currents. I wonder for a long time and also planned to ask a similar question to the scientists over here.

Time will tell..

/Hugo :)

Re: Re: How Far Can We Take this?

Netlist said:

Indeed, are there or will there be other devices that can amplify our voltages and currents. I wonder for a long time and also planned to ask a similar question to the scientists over here.

Time will tell..

/Hugo :)

yes, ferromagnetic semiconductors, like the spin valve transistor.

but that'll take some time before we can use them, IF they are usefull in audio circuits...

I remember reading an article, perhaps in Scientific American?, about a new device that works like a tube, but is solid state. I seem to recall microscopic cones that emit the electrons across a vacuum. No filament. I've forgotten how they managed the control element.
No doubt about it. Some clever young lad (or lass) will come up with something new. It's only a matter of time.

Grey

New topologies will pop up at intervals. Quite possibly in response to new devices. Tubes are all "N" devices. The addition of P devices when transistors came along gave rise to other possibilities, although I think it was foolish to immediately dump all the tube topologies...here we are, fifty years later, reinventing the wheel. The tube guys had solutions to some of these things ages ago.
Although, Nelson's Aleph current source isn't immediately obvious, I'm surprised that no one did X or cascoded output stages earlier.

Grey

GRollins said:
New topologies will pop up at intervals. Quite possibly in response to new devices. Tubes are all "N" devices. The addition of P devices when transistors came along gave rise to other possibilities, although I think it was foolish to immediately dump all the tube topologies...here we are, fifty years later, reinventing the wheel. The tube guys had solutions to some of these things ages ago.
Although, Nelson's Aleph current source isn't immediately obvious, I'm surprised that no one did X or cascoded output stages earlier.

Grey
Is the cascode a Pass Labs patend?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.