More Pearl questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This has been a long time in the making but I've finally buckled down to build it.

The good news is that there is no 'silicon ash' and second, there is no annoying hum. So far so good then...

The problem is this; I have played a record but it seems to have less gain compared to another phono stage (ESP P06). Yet I understand both are 40dB gain. The second is that it sounds restrained compared to the above. At this point I must add that C14 and C16 are NOT in circuit, nor is R1. I suspect this may have something to do with it but I am unsure as to what values to use with a Dynavector 10x4 cartridge(MM).

Output coupling capacitors are Mundorf MCap 630.

Any ideas? Always appreciated.

Cheers.

Brownlow

Pearl

Your cartridge is a high output MC. Loading it at 47K with no added capacitance should be fine.
Try running it a few more hours to fully break in. If the gain is lower than your normal phono stage it can make the lower gain unit sound less dynamic.
Another possible area is the preamp used with the Pearl. Are you using a linestage or a passive to drive the amp?

George

I've used the Pearl with a Dynavector 10x4 for many months. If I remember, all I had was the 47K input resistor. I know I experimented with adding small caps at the input to see if it affected the sound, but I don't remember what I finally ended up with, probably nothing.

And as Panelhead said, reduced overall gain in the system can sound restrained.

What have I done...

I must admit I was a little concerned about the Pearl as the sound that I was getting wasn't that special. My output coupling caps are Mundorf MCap63 10uF. I remembered that I had some Audyn MKP-QS 10uF caps, I put these in and BAM! It kicked in. I have been listening to a number of discs and that midrange is sooo rich and full to me. This is clearly a great sounding phono.

On a different note, I thought that Mundorf and Audyn came from the same source. They sounded so different. The Audyn came in at less than half the price. Anyone tried the Audyn MKP-Plus?

Nice, very nice phono. Now I know why I've been missing out.

Cheers.

Brownlow

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.