aleph p + attenuator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All

There seems to have been some talk about an alternative methos of signal attenuation in the BOSOZ designs which relies on effectively placing a potentiometer between the +ve & -ve outputs. There by avoidong the complexity and cost of relay based or the precision 4 ganged stepped attenuators.

has anybody tried this on the Aleph P1.7 preamp design or have any comments suggestions.
What happens when the pot resistance drops to zero ( at minimum volume) ie effectivley shorting the +ve and -ve outputs together- is this a bad thing?

thanks and regards.

Thank you Ursv & Till

I forgot about the 100ohm resistors, but still i wonder if thers might be a probklem as my understanding of the circuit implies there is usually a greater load on the outputs than i would be providing.

As for cost and complexity- I do not understand and therefore am uncomfortable with digital electronics.
Same problem trying to fix a car with electronic fuel injection compared to one with a carburettor (to me at least ).

Thanks

Any other comments out there?

Hi George

For once in my life there is someone on the list who lives in the same city :)

Thus we are collaborating somewhat on this project and while I am less worried about cost (I already have my relays), the single attenuator across the output would simplify things considerably.

I have a working BLS to "play" with but I was wondering the best approach in terms of pot placement.

Alas, I posted to another thread:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=235994#post235994

Any comments from the learned ones .... !

regards
mark

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.