Pass amp paired with Lowthers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all!

My Lowther build is soon finished and it's time to start deciding on a amplifier to go with it. Everybody I've asked so far yells "TUBES", but I always been a ss guy. I agree that tubeamps and Lowthers are a well proven match, but in this case I would like to try something different.

I had initially set my mind on a B1/F5 combo, but there might be even better solutions? The source is mainly vinyl, and a htpc with a Lynx card.

Speakers are BLH with Lowther C45 8Ohm.

Thanks/John

That is what I call a quick reply! Thanks, guys!

I will read up on the F1 impressions to start with..

BTW, are these circuits considered to be open for public use? What about the availability of pcb cards regarding the earlier FW amps? Are they still possible to purchase? Or, where are the pcb layouts to be found if I need to make My own?

/John

My experience with full range drivers is limited to Fostex (and a little Mark Audio) and my experience has been poor with SS and much better with tubes. The SS gear I've tried has all been global negative feedback stuff - i.e. high damping factor. It's widely touted that high damping factors are not idea for this type of speaker. I tried a series resistor at the amplifier output, but this did not produce good results. My tube amp is much better and has no feedback. The F5 uses feedback whereas some of the lower numbered First Watt Amps do not.

I am a little late to the party here

I am assuming the SIT-2 is out of the picture, but it is awesome with the Alerion's if you can twist your budget for that. The J2 is also a favorite.

This is one of those occasions where I am going to disagree with Nelson's taste. I just love the F2-J-fet with the Alerion's. It helps extends the bass response, as well as the highs to a slight extent, is dynamic, and is sweet. F1-J-Fet is a little more powerful, and more neutral, but not as sweet.

Nelson prefers the sweetness of the F3, I prefer the dynamics of the F5. You have to decide which you would prefer. Neither will disappoint.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.