looking for preamp project for Aleph 3

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
After done the recapping of my recently acquired Pass Lab Aleph 3, I am looking forward to build a Pass Lab preamp for it. It seems that Aleph P is the most recommended. And there is a Pumpkin preamp. I would appreciate some suggestion on which one to build based on the sound, availability of PCB boards, and helps that I might get from this forum.

Thanks a lot!!

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
well , I'm biased :clown:

I'm finding :Pumpkin: somewhat better than venerable P , even if :Pumpkin: is also sort of already venerable ;

but - my pcbs offering is paused for now , because I'm tired of constant inventing new ways to have Paypal account , while living in country which isn't covered by Paypal . They said it will be operative soon ..... so I'm just waiting for thing to happen

I tried ZenMods Pumpkins and am having problems with them. I'm going to try the Aleph P1.7, the circuit schematic is available from KK-PCB but I'm using my own.

My Power Amp is the Aleph 4.

Watch this space I might be selling two Pumpkins and two Shuntkys. They are complete and do work but not quite as expected.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
pumpkin is very good pre! :cheers:

If you cannot get the shunties working....take another PSU for instance this...

Attachments

• preamp psu.jpg
    preamp psu.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 454
-> Dukja

In case you will have a chance to get mached pairs 2sk170/2sj74BL strongly recomend
JFET-DISPRE II , designed by Pavel Macura ( PMA);
much better then Aleph P ,
I haven't found any competitor in range 1000-1500 USD comercial preamps
( Cambridge Audio 840E , Quad, Vincent ,Xindac)
But you have to take care about transistor matching and use very good pot ( Noble from Percy - as minium )

I can say the traces are fairly small, even on places most people would make them broader....
most important point..... holes are small :mad: ,only small wires have place... I could not place some components, better caps etc.

but they work. ;)

all holes on kk-pcb boards are smal. that is so you can drill them to your wanted sice. i think it says so in his documents too.

Is the B1 any good for you ?

I went through a similar quest for a suitable preamp for my aleph3 as well as the F5. If you don't have efficient speakers B1->Aleph 3 will be found wanting. You need a few db of gain at least in your pre stage for speakers that are 89-90 db or lower in efficiency.

I finally settled on this tube preamp and I have found a great combination. DIY ECC802S (12AU7 / ECC82) Vacuum Tube SRPP Preamplifier

uv.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.