Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2011, 08:18 PM   #21
generg is offline generg  Germany
diyAudio Member
 
generg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Near Frankfurt
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieandDad View Post
My Pumpkins seem Ok but the Shuntkys are playing up. I'm just trying basic regulators at +/- 36V to see if I can improve matters.

the name is Shunty not shuntky......maybe you write the name right it will work....

__________________
and the First Wtt is......a really First Class PSS Idea
  Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2011, 08:33 PM   #22
Dukja is offline Dukja  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Oklahoma, US
Thanks for all the suggestions and discussion, especially the ones that have kit or pcb available. I'll check into them. I might end up building more than one. I did read people mentioned about the input impedance of Aleph 3 may not match well with some preamp, so I need to pay attention to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodo View Post
In case you will have a chance to get mached pairs 2sk170/2sj74BL strongly recomend
JFET-DISPRE II , designed by Pavel Macura ( PMA);
much better then Aleph P ,
I haven't found any competitor in range 1000-1500 USD comercial preamps
( Cambridge Audio 840E , Quad, Vincent ,Xindac)
But you have to take care about transistor matching and use very good pot ( Noble from Percy - as minium )
It seems that Mr. Macura does sell all kinds of combos and matched JFET, so I don't need to worry about getting pairs, right? I am interested in this since it also can be used as "normal" headphone amp since I use Aleph 3 mainly for an "abnormal" headphone.
  Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2011, 09:09 AM   #23
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Wroclaw
I have the Aleph 3 here in my room singing beutifully with Aleph preamp.

I have built BOZ, BSOZ, both aleph L and both Aleph P in the past and B1 lately.

The preamp that won my heart is Aleph P 1.0, not the one everyones is/was building - Aleph P 1.7.

It is really a great circuit and I'm wondering why no one is building it, becouse it uses IRFP240 as gain stage? Supricingly the highs are just excellent, the whole sound is just excellent once built with high quality parts.

Use Caddock and Mills resistors, good PS caps and the best signal caps you can afford, or find an old PIO Siemens MKV or Bosh MP caps that are really top quality and one has to spend gig $$$ to better them.

I power it off 10x6V Lead Acid battery (the 18V taken of first 3 ones).

Just recently I built B1 with Caddock and Mills resistors, Seiemens MKV and Aerovox caps, powerred off batteries. It sounds nice and fine but not as good with Aleph 3 as Aleph P 1,0.

For volume I us 5K stepped attenuator at the output.

Just my 3 cents.
  Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2011, 09:15 AM   #24
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Wroclaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodo View Post
-> Dukja

In case you will have a chance to get mached pairs 2sk170/2sj74BL strongly recomend
JFET-DISPRE II , designed by Pavel Macura ( PMA);
much better then Aleph P ,
I haven't found any competitor in range 1000-1500 USD comercial preamps
( Cambridge Audio 840E , Quad, Vincent ,Xindac)
But you have to take care about transistor matching and use very good pot ( Noble from Percy - as minium )
Dodo range of 1000-1500 commercial preamps is budget level, this is where the preamps actually start. I haven't tried PMA circuit but sure Aleph P (1.0) or other Alephs are less complicated. I love how simple P 1.0 gain stage is, just two Fets, 4 signal caps and a couple of resistors, two caps and resistors filtering PS and that's it. Built with high quality parts in proper way (point to point with short signal paths and no PCB) it just sings beautifully.

Last edited by zygibajt; 15th December 2011 at 09:44 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2011, 12:30 PM   #25
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: midwest
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioSan View Post
diyAudio store have PCB for B1.
kk-pcb have PCB for aleph p.
Actually, DIY store does not have B-1, that can be obtained directly from Pass along with matched fets. DIY has the Mezmerize DC B-1, a variant using mods that allow dispensing with coupling caps.

Russellc
  Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2011, 01:38 PM   #26
diyAudio Member
 
albertNL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Netherlands & Australia
I have used KK PCB boards for a monoblock Aleph 2 build. The amps have been running for some years and work fine. Not quite the same sound as the Aleph 3 though (I have an original Aleph 3 that I bought second hand). Could be due to parts, because looking back (specially after reading a lot on diyaudio.com in the last year) I think I want to change a lot of parts in the Aleph 2's!

I also bought KK PCB boards for Aleph P1.7 at the same time. Due to problems with volume control and input selection (not due to the KK PCB boards but Chinese junk supplied by a local dealer) that build is not yet completed. Boards seem fine. I cannot comment on quality of layout other than that the layout was not designed for large polypropylene caps.
  Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2011, 04:15 PM   #27
Dukja is offline Dukja  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Oklahoma, US
I just saw the photos your beautiful point-to-pint Aleph P 1.0. Very nice work and interesting approach.

And it happened that my current setup can use extra smoothness, which seems to be what P 1.0 can provide according to your description in other posts.

Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zygibajt View Post
I have the Aleph 3 here in my room singing beutifully with Aleph preamp.

I have built BOZ, BSOZ, both aleph L and both Aleph P in the past and B1 lately.

The preamp that won my heart is Aleph P 1.0, not the one everyones is/was building - Aleph P 1.7.

It is really a great circuit and I'm wondering why no one is building it, becouse it uses IRFP240 as gain stage? Supricingly the highs are just excellent, the whole sound is just excellent once built with high quality parts.

Use Caddock and Mills resistors, good PS caps and the best signal caps you can afford, or find an old PIO Siemens MKV or Bosh MP caps that are really top quality and one has to spend gig $$$ to better them.

I power it off 10x6V Lead Acid battery (the 18V taken of first 3 ones).

Just recently I built B1 with Caddock and Mills resistors, Seiemens MKV and Aerovox caps, powerred off batteries. It sounds nice and fine but not as good with Aleph 3 as Aleph P 1,0.

For volume I us 5K stepped attenuator at the output.

Just my 3 cents.
  Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2011, 07:18 PM   #28
dodo is offline dodo  Poland
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Bydgoszcz , small town in Poland
Quote:
Originally Posted by zygibajt View Post
Dodo range of 1000-1500 commercial preamps is budget level, this is where the preamps actually start. I haven't tried PMA circuit but sure Aleph P (1.0) or other Alephs are less complicated. I love how simple P 1.0 gain stage is, just two Fets, 4 signal caps and a couple of resistors, two caps and resistors filtering PS and that's it. Built with high quality parts in proper way (point to point with short signal paths and no PCB) it just sings beautifully.


things have changed over the last 20-30 years
Nowdays most dificult part in preamps it take care about EMI , which go in the signal from every possible direction.
PMA took care about it

My present opinion in range of importance in audio circuits :
- circuit topology
- layout&wiring&box(as a barier for EMI )
- active parts qulaity
- pasive parts quality

Jfet-Dispre just meet with my point of view


In my opinion Aleph 3 is in range 1000 -1500 USD comercial amps

Why someone would like to use much beter pre , where power amp quality is the limitation
  Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2011, 08:36 PM   #29
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Wroclaw
Halo,

Sure everyone has right to his own opinions. Original Aleph 3 was more expensive I belive and even still today you would probably have very hard time finding similarly sounding power amp for $1000 or $1500. I'm not talking about DIY clones build on the budget, though they also can sound nice depending of what are you expecting and comparing it to.

Everything is important and usually appears to be much complicated when research deeply. A poor signal cap will kill 75% of the sound regardless how thoughtfull is circuit topology, layout wiring ect... that is how I see it.

And I admire Pavel Macura work a lot.
  Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2011, 08:42 PM   #30
Stealth is offline Stealth  Slovakia
diyAudio Member
 
Stealth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
dodo

It's no secret that Mr Macura does not like passlabs..
Are you sure you're not a local dealer of PMA?
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
X Aleph Project Down Under macka Pass Labs 111 30th June 2008 01:55 PM
Aleph 2 project Thago Pass Labs 2 21st April 2007 07:44 AM
need enclosures for your aleph project ? jrsun Pass Labs 2 19th February 2004 01:34 PM
My aleph 2 project Jean Pass Labs 13 21st January 2004 07:14 AM
Passlabs Aleph 5 project????? Chamberman Pass Labs 3 14th June 2001 08:53 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 02:53 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2