Pearl and Cartridge Compatibility (Goldring 1012GX)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm new to analog and am considering building the Pearl Phono. I do not yet have a full understandig of the issues surrounding loading resistance and capacitance.

I have a Goldring 1012GX cartridge which has a seemingly very high output of 6.5mv. Is this compatible with the Pearl Phono? I notice that it is "recommended" for cartridges from 400 to 1500 uv in the PASS article. Will the 1012 over drive the Pearl?

Also, what would be the best selections for R1, C14 and C16? How do you go about choosing these values? Directions to more information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!:confused:

Well,
here are my 2 cents:

R1 is reserved for MC cartridges only to lower the impedance in parallel with R27 (47Kohms). In your case, you don't need R1.
C14 and C16 are for MM cartridges only (and for you) and usual values are 100pF, 200pF, 300pF or 400pF. You have to try which combination is the best for you.
Regards the load, if you don't have any problems with your old phono preamp (whatever you are using in 40DB range) it is unlikely that you will overload your cartridge.
Hope this will help.

Regards
Boban

Oh yes,
but nothing serious (couple input resistors). That's easy to fix and/or to solve. Double-check solder joints, instructions are more that enough (we are still talking about Pearl phono, are we not?) and majority of the problems are related to the bad soldering joins (you know, the "cold" ones). Take it from me, never solder around midnight on a full moon.
On a more serious note, please, please be careful when working with 120V or 220V. That is serious stuff and can be very painful or even worse. And the big caps can be dangerous as well.
Regards
Boban

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.