L'Amp: A simple SIT Amp

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Yes, to my ears, the 193v sounds better. To me, the 193v sounded better with virtually no warm-up and no break-in time. After 45 minutes, there was no question.
From first turning it on, the 193v had more depth of sound. I"m not talking about sound-stage. At this point, all three amps sound-stage: height, width depth are the about same.

I listened to a bass line from a specific song on my test CD 100 times at least. It bumps along on the other amps. With the 193v, it's an interwoven groove. It's quick and clear and it's right there!

You know when they say, "You can hear the singer's lips part just before they start singing.." I can hear that too, and I also can hear their tongue peel off the roof of their mouth before they start singing. It's that delicate a resolution. Amazing!

I'm not saying no other amps can do this. Just that I don't have one that does this.
What might be amazing to me, might be old news to you. I might be easly impressed.

My speakers aren't particularly special. Using a 6.5" Dayton Audio full-range in a Voight pipe. 94.7db sensitivity. B1 as pre and a Naim CDP. AudioQuest F-14 (ancient) cable.
Home made ICs. That's it.

Sorry for being wordy, but I like to hear what people think of the sound they get out of their DIY gear. I like to return the favor.

Last edited:
Sorry for being wordy, ...

That is totaly OK. Thank you. I hadn't been convinced to the L'amp because of its low gain, but after experience with F4 amp concluded that was not so bad. So decided to built resistor version and I'm satisfied by what Michael offered us. I have got spare pair of 2SK82 so your opinion incourage me to try another version of fabulous L'Amp.

Joined 2000
Paid Member
I'm hoping you guys can help me understand something.

I put the amps back on the bench to check the voltages.
I saw there was around 22v dc at the output, but there is no hum or noise at the test speaker.
Have to put my ear right at the speaker to hear any noise at all. Music plays fine through them. Double checked the meter and its set to vdc 200v range. :confused:

Does the input need to be grounded during this test? Just guessing since the only difference is an input impedance when the RCA cable is used.

Thanks

Vince

Last edited:
Pass DIY Apprentice
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The amp ideally shouldn't be turned on and off without a speaker connected anyway. The schematic includes an 8 ohm load at the output.

When you try to measure DC at the output without a speaker and or bleeder resistor connected, you are measuring the voltage on the cap which is discharging through the 1M resistance of your meter, and that will take a long, long time to reach zero.

I've mentioned all of this before here, and a note has been added to both articles.

Last edited: