L'Amp: A simple SIT Amp

Here is my SIT amp loaded with 193V inductors. Big thanks to NP and Michael also to Wayne, Wrenchone and everyone that helped troubleshoot it at BAF.

Just in case anyone is wondering, the mounting lugs on big Rifa caps are internally connected to the negative terminal. So beware if you plan to use them for output coupling.

The description of the sound from the Firstwatt articles/manuals is spot on.:)

Attachments

• IMG_2913.jpg
    IMG_2913.jpg
    560.4 KB · Views: 560
  • IMG_2914.jpg
    IMG_2914.jpg
    682.9 KB · Views: 547
Thanks!

Here is an upskirt shot for those into that sort of thing taken by AMB at BAF. I still need to clean up the wiring because I was in a hurry to get it ready for BAF.

Thanks also to my friend David who took care of the machining on the heatsinks.

Attachments

• burningamp2012-40.jpg
    burningamp2012-40.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 528
:) trés mignon le petit dernier!

mine have a little problem, as i change to a passive preamp ( ldr) i have changed the input caps to go with my choke gate leak from 1uf to 3,9uf
now i have full bass again but i pick some hum:(

do you think it"s my unshielded input cap that is making antenna , or a ringing between choke and caps? or it"s just an horrible halloween buzz:D

PSZ and everyone else - hindsight is always keen... The case on any comupter electrolytic cap is always at the potential of the (-) terminal of the cap, which is one reason why you see them often with plastic sleeving around the case. In the instance of the Rifa long-life computer ekectrolytics with the stud on the bottom of the case, well, that stud is at the same potential as the case/(-) terminal of the cap.This is not a biggie if the cap is used for the usual filtering purposes ( but not for negative supplies, obviously). When used as coupling caps, the mounting stud on the bottom of the cap must be isolated, otherwise you are shorting the amp output to chassis. Obvious in retrospect, but not on Sunday - sheesh...

More fun with PASS-SIT-1

Here's something else:

Fun with PASS-SIT-1

The weight of a TO-247 package is 0.2 oz for a bjt selling for $2; or 10 USD/oz. Do a similar calculation for a PASS SIT-1 transistor [TO 247] and then position it in this following field of precious metals:
  • Au at 1,689 USD/oz
  • Pt at 1,540 USD/oz
  • Rh at 1,150 USD/oz
  • Ir at 1,050 USD/oz
  • Pd at 600 USD/oz
  • Ru at 110 USD/oz
  • Ag at 31 USD/oz
  • SemiSouth R100A at 250 USD/oz
  • bjt at 10 USD/oz
PASS-SIT -1 may be poised to trade in the market of precious metals. It'll easily surpass Silver and may gracefully sit between Ruthenium and Iridium.
The TO-3 metal package [2SB.. and 2SD..bjts] made in Japan weighed ~0.4 oz. The weightliest was ~0.5 oz. Those DIYers who used KD82 are in a position to place this SIT in the above list.

Last edited: