L'Amp: A simple SIT Amp

Finally finished one monoblock with mu stage and listened for a few days. I am actually driving both speakers with this using a y connector for the input so the effect is true mono, which is good to get an idea of tonal quality. Power output at auditioning levels must be around 2W total so the amp is comfy with this set up.
Speakers are bastanis prometheus 98db or so with powered sub from 100hz. Line stage is John Broskie Aikido.
Previous pass amps included aleph 5 and aleph x. However those were sidelined in favour of either a 300B/6sn7(ccs stage) SET with good plitron tansformers and all film caps or a 6c33 SET.
After playing around with the bias/current settings to find the ideal mix acoustically I listened more extensively. Initially I was impressed but not particularly blown away. A very SET-like sound in the same playing field as my other valve amps but perhaps a hair less liquidity/immediacy in the mid/highs. However, after trying some output cap combos, initially panasonic 2X4700uf bypass audyncap film 2,2uf, I reasoned that I could get away with better smaller caps as my full range units only go to 100hz (below 100 the sub is driven by the line stage). I tried a set of black gate N 680uf in an anti-parallel set up which was not that great. It was only when I put in a pair of ASC 100uf film in oil caps that the whole musical presentation went up a level quite probably surpassing the valve sound. Electrolytics , even good ones, seem to have a small degree of bloat and smearing. Bypasing helps, only up to a point.
I think this makes a case for "bi-capping" the SITamp. That is to have two outputs : one with large bypassed electrolytics for the bass units and some large film caps for the mids/tweeter.

Last edited:
What for? I climbed on the giants shoulders and just borrowed the schematic from this thread. It seemed well tested and liked so thats what I used. I mean the one with the r100 semisouth and the two resistor conection.

I wanted to try a basic version to see if I liked it and then think of any mods. Although I must say I am not that advanced a diyer to confidently design my own mu stage. For valves designing is a bit easier especially if you also have Broskies tubecad software.

I was also surprised how quiet my amp was. With the input shorted there was no noise at all a few inches from the 98db speaker.

I can now say that there is a possibility that I will not have to be spending hundreds of euros/dollars replacing expensive 300B's and various nos valves every couple of years.

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Michael,

Inquiring minds want to know-

When will you be putting out another article and on what topic? :D
I check your site from time to time, but no movement yet.

I wanna know what, "Why would you want to built that..." is! :D

Have you tried or though about a F5, but with complimentary SITs?
There are a few sets available at diycircuits.com. I don't have the know-how for something like that or if it's even possible. If it were possible, a 10w Class A would be interesting.

Just a though. Please feel free to drill holes in my logic.

Vince

F5 with SIT

Michael,

Inquiring minds want to know-

When will you be putting out another article and on what topic? :D
I check your site from time to time, but no movement yet.

I wanna know what, "Why would you want to built that..." is! :D

Have you tried or though about a F5, but with complimentary SITs?
There are a few sets available at diycircuits.com. I don't have the know-how for something like that or if it's even possible. If it were possible, a 10w Class A would be interesting.

Just a though. Please feel free to drill holes in my logic.

Vince

Yes Michael, I want a F5 with SITs.
Please, Please?

Rush

Pass DIY Apprentice
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I really do have some projects in the pipeline. That particular one is a codename for my current project. Of course, that won't be the real title, I was just having a little fun. With a little luck, I'll have some preliminary info ready for BAF, but my lips are sealed for the time being.

I have a few complementary SIT pairs and I have something in mind for them, but I wouldn't want to preempt anyone else's efforts by making any pre-announcements. I will say that it's not an F5 sort of circuit, though.

I had better get back to the lab now. My PCB's arrived today.

Mike

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Michael Rothacher said:
I'll have some preliminary info ready for BAF, but my lips are sealed for the time being.

I have a few complementary SIT pairs and I have something in mind for them, but I wouldn't want to preempt anyone else's efforts by making any pre-announcements. I will say that it's not an F5 sort of circuit, though.

I had better get back to the lab now. My PCB's arrived today.

Mike

Look at you being all secretive. That's OK. Sounds like after BA, there will be a flood of new projects. :D

Thx

small

http://amattsso.1g.fi/kuvat/Audio/DSC_1068.jpg

Still waiting for the rest of the parts. Going for the Hammond version.

I do not have a SIT Amp. Thus, I am not able to reduce to practice the title experiment. But, Mr. Pass, Mr. Rothacher, and Ms/Mr{s} DIYER who have a SIT may consider doing the experiment. It is an authentic new approach to operate a SIT. Please consult the attached file for the working schematic.

I did the experiment which I proposed in Post #1399 by proxy of using both channels of Threshold S/150 power amplifier. The Right channel acted as an ideal voltage source amp. A power resistor [non-inductive 8 Ohms] was put in series with the output port of the Left channel; to simulate a voltage source amp with an intrinsic 8 Ohms output impedance. The results of this study are shown in Posts #28 and 29 of the Thread "Compound Power Amplifiers" in the Pass Labs Forum.

I concluded that this compounding approach is a useful guide.