L'Amp: A simple SIT Amp

Pass DIY Apprentice
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Joined 2000
Paid Member
L'amp CCS Resistor Values

Hi Mike and All,

Can you tell me the wattage on the 1 ohm resistor after the IXTH6N50D2?
Is it 30 watts? 19x1.6= 30.4w ? The heat sink in the photo has a serial pair that look like 3w resistors, but I am unsure. Is the mosfet taking most of the current?

R1 is typical 3w?

The rest are 1/4w at the gate of the SIT.

Thanks,

Vince

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I have build up the second channel of the L´amp, means the Hammond version, so I had the pleasure to hear the system in stereo.

Hearing mono, I found the inductor solution a bit too dark for my system, now in stereo the sound balance is very good. I do not know why, I even suspected a phase failure, but all is o.k.

The comments of Chris and juanitox described the sound of this solution in contrast to the thick film resistor solution, so I have nothing to add.....only that I am impressed.......!

At the moment I would say that the CCS solution, especially the solution B with the Semisouth described in Mikes CCS.pdf, is situated between the thick film and the inductor solution and also very worth a try if your system does not need the bass boost and body of the inductor solution, you gain a bit more solution and presence.

And of course Nelson the sorcerer must have a solution in his SIT-1 that it sounds not too thin even using thick film resistors....:cool:

But for open baffles needing some boost from the current amp the inductor solution is great.

I must still change my battery driven bias solution to a small PSU solution.

I am sure my Jazz Friends coming next week will let their mouths open after hearing the SIT amps, what do I want more.....:D:D:D

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
thanks Zen Mod,

I hope you will soon find the time to build your Zen SIT amps!:):)

yeah .......

exciting times are in front of me ..... as always

and , as usual , I don't have either time/need/motive to make any of Babelfishes for my self .... there is always new koan for poor ZM

it seems even BJ2 will have same destiny

Attachments

• buehehe.gif
    buehehe.gif
    33.3 KB · Views: 647