L'Amp: A simple SIT Amp

i have built the two version , resistor load = bigger transformer , tons of heat
inductor loads = smaller power supply , tons of steel..:D

sounds : as good as the better Set amp you can build , some litlle difference in the end in my system : resitor load with finest highs, inductor loads much stronger bass..

Last edited:
Thick Film...

Hi everyone and Generg -

Wondering what you Generg will say when you see my mixture of Caddock and Vishay - in a couple of weeks(days if the ebay delivery is quick).

Pics will come - and when I`m waiting I`ll keep playing on my B1 - SDS 254 classd - alpair10.2. Selfmade gear makes listening to music even more meaningful. The joy is in the building!

Thanks to Nelson Pass and Michael Rothacker for inspiration and easyer access to plans and drawing(wasn`t so easy before the internett came, and we had to dug it out of mystical magazines)!

Best to everyone.

Olav

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Last edited:
Resistor vs Inductor

Hello everyone, hope you all do well with your builds

I plugged in my proto. amp (after changing to "full power" with bigger heatsinks and PSU @ 44v DC) maybe a week ago pretty much as i left it a while back.. I didn't think it sounded better then my older version running @ 30v DC for some reason (ofc. i "dialed in" the the bias and resistor value for the different PSU voltages)

I then pulled out the 1st cap in my new CLC-PSU so i became an LC-PSU witch lowered the supply voltage down to ~32v DC, this for me sounded better again for some reason :confused: It sounded more relaxed with better sense of PRAT, also less "shouty" with better transparency and 3D..

I then took the "L" (150mH, 3A Hammond) from my PSU and replaced the Drain-resistor with an inductor and back in with my lab-PSU..

This is a complete different sound from the resistor version, it is ALOT more massive with an big increase in density and weight with perhaps even better PRAT.. Is it better then the resistor? Maybe, maybe not, the resistor version got Lightness, delicateness, a richer and more transparent harmonic envelope around the notes.. It is also more liquid.

You could say that the resistor version is like the swift air and the inductor is like the steady heavy earth.. They are both nice in their own way, the inductor might be more "neutral" because the resistor can be quite thin sounding compared to the inductor.

I'll just see what i end up with later on ;)

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi Chris,

Thanks for the detailed description of your settings....I think I would prefer the more earthy sound but of course it is interesting to get one's own mix.
As far as I saw Nelson took the Vishay thick film. I looked for you older postings I could not find which resistors you are using.
Maybe when using the resistors, you really have to dial in to more k2 distortion, what Nelson does, as far as I understand, to avoid the overclear sound.
Yesterday I changed in my BJ2 clone the values of the drain and source resistors, in one change I bridged 0R34 and the sound got very thin.
So I think the dialing in is more important with the resistors. The CCS solution also should be handeld flexible to find the sound balance.
For me the BJ2 and the SIT amp show that small changes have more influence than I thought.....:)

Hi guys,
I am thinking between building the SIT or the F3. I have both transistors but it would suit me to use 70v rails since I have two Aleph 5 chassis and PS (2X35v) and a lot of heatsinking.What do you think?
Also what is the voltage rating of the sony and does anyone have a data sheet?

Joined 2009
Paid Member
@protos

here you can see the safe area for the Sony Mike calculated, it is the zone below the bend doted red line.....
s2k82b.jpg

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/diyaudio-com-articles/200460-l-amp-simple-sit-amp-part-1-a.html

is the complete article...

sorry the picture got a bit big.....and I do not know why.... first time such a monster picture....

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
when I look at the picture of SIT-1 on six moons there are besides the Vishay resistors many Panasonic 10.000uF (?) caps in parallel (?) to the resistors.
Let us assume the resistors are 2R and the sum about 16R...
What could be the reason for the caps?

- better hum suppression?
- no turn-on noise?
- better sound for unknown reasons (for me unknown)

at any case interesting aspect from the master....:cool: