L'Amp: A simple SIT Amp

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
naah - I just mentioned how Pa is finding that side of science most amusing ..... and how seeing that was amusing for me ( mention him in this very context is my attempt to poke him to write something here in your great thread )

we are not talking about Nelson specifically , but about those who spotted same thing about process which leads to crystallization of some idea or solution

so - pleasure isn't always in discovering completely new things ( I have few more thoughts now about that but I feel constrained with my ZMengrish) , but can be found also in some newish way of combining some items/things/ideas already discovered .......

so - I'm not disputing anything , just catching normal tempo , after removing huge amount of snow from garage to street :clown:

Last edited:
:D another beginner question, on the Sit amp part one we can see that michael has draw a 8ohm load line to find the sweet spot . but later it is sais that the 2SK82 see the 8ohm speaker in parralel with the drain resistor ( 14ohm)

so why not to use a 5 ohm load line to find the Q point ?

Pass DIY Apprentice
Joined 2001
Paid Member
It (the example load line from the article) is an arbitrary example.

You're welcome to draw the 5 Ohm load line.

Also, as mentioned in the article, loudspeakers aren't usually pure resistors, they are reactive and their load lines are actually elliptical having an impedance which changes with frequency. Have a look at the impedance plot of your loudspeakers, for example.

Having said that, we often deal with lumped abstractions in the world of electronics in order to simplify the work (unless you happen to like working directly with Maxwell's equations). In this particular case we lump the model of a loudspeaker into a resistor.

Last edited:
The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I was curious if you'd seen any differences in terms of distortion (assuming you've tried both). I have a set of R100s I'd like to try to add to my SITs in lieu of the IXTH6N50D2.

For the current sources, they work better with the mu follower than the
Aleph because the Vgs of the R100 is lower. I don't find much difference
between R100's and IRFP240's as mu followers, and so I go with the more
common part.

:cool:

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
For the current sources, they work better with the mu follower than the
Aleph because the Vgs of the R100 is lower. I don't find much difference
between R100's and IRFP240's as mu followers, and so I go with the more
common part.

:cool:

Generg

are you digging what Papa sez ?

you can spare that R100 in Mu and use IRFP instead ....