L'Amp: A simple SIT Amp

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Well, I would prefer the CCS solution over the choke load one. I have the IXTH devices on hand.

How about a balanced solution? The way Papa did it in ZV1: Balanced Lite (you gotta love the play on titles!). Gets rid of the output cap, more power, less distortion.

This SIT is just really a part for part replacement for the MOSFETs, with a few changes in part values in the circuits. You could probably go through the entire Zen series, right?

Last edited:
Pass DIY Apprentice
Joined 2001
Paid Member
It certainly has potential. :)

I have something balanced on the workbench right now, but I'm not going to preempt myself this time.

This SIT is just really a part for part replacement for the MOSFETs, with a few changes in part values in the circuits. You could probably go through the entire Zen series, right?

In the sense that they are both transistors, yes.

Most of the Zen series uses enhancement MOSFETS with feedback, and these SITs don't exactly have a lot of gain to spare. And, of course, you must account for their need for negative bias voltages (Depletion Mode).

But, from a high-level topology standpoint, yes, you can plug them in and see what happens.

Last edited:
:spin: so this morning return to the fixed bias with a 9V alcaline battery a 10K bournes pot and 2K res . my 10uf epcos film on the input Rca . and turn on , i 'v got 16V at 2,6amp , a little more gain , great sound again but no more quiet or transparent as with the bypass source res .. so back to 1ohm res again , swap the input cap and rewire the bypass Caps.. turn on 15V at 2,33amp i defintly prefer the sounds, more relaxed , highs like cymbals seems more clean than before ...

i still don't know why in my amp the fig 11 sounds better :crazy: perhaps it's the input capacitor ? but the Epcos MKS is not a bad one in other amps ?

anyway , the Sit sounds good and is quiet now so thnank you again michael:):cloud9:

Joined 2009
Paid Member
here comes my simple Mufollower circuit......:)

you can alternate the connection of the 10k Pot coming from point A, the drain of the SIT, to point B, the source of the SIT......
as far as I can say B offers more gain and more bass to my Tone Tubbies and in simulation offers a bit less distortion.

I will continue my experiments when my "experimental" heatsinks come and I can compare with my standard constellation, crippled F4. (waiting now for four weeks ..)

Attachments

• Mu-follower simple.jpg
    Mu-follower simple.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 956
Last edited:
Hi guys!

Hope everyone is doing great with their amp builds :) I haven't given up on my amp, hehe.. I'm waiting for some inductors to arrive, 4x 28mH (430mΩ DCR) and 2x 150mH (1Ω DCR), both @ 3ADC.. not sure how i'm gonna use them yet.

Maybe an L-input PSU, or CLC and perhaps exchange the big 200W resistor on the Drain for an inductor? =)

I'm pretty sure i'm gonna go for monos and not PSU-box + AMP-box as my PSU might be quite heavy with my 10kg transformer (which is adjustable from 2-130V @ 2V steps ;) ) and with an L-input filter for two channels my PSU is gonna weight a whopping 30kg, and not look to nice.

Is the way to go an inductor loaded Drain? How will that affect the output impedance?

And nice builds everyone! :cool:

:p there is something i don"t understand on hte graph thd vs frequency with inductor load.. does it means that with a inductor you don't get bass as good as with the resistor load? as i don't need extra power with my horn what will be improved with inductor load except smaller power supply and less heat ?