L'Amp: A simple SIT Amp

Joined 2009
Paid Member
O.k. guys,

I played the last days with the SIT in a MUfollower constellation.....

It was very interesting to play with the output node......
Output at the drain of SIT, between the resistors, at the source of the upper Semisouth...

Most bass for my Tone Tubbies came from the last possibility, overall clearest sound from the first possibility....
The MU allows to adapt the sound more to the chain or to the speakers.

But, I repeat ....... Overall clearest sound is still the thick film resistor solution......(I did not try bulbs)
Maybe the wattage or grip for my Tone Tubbies is a bit weak....there the MU gives more power.:D

That's my sense of this audio stuff, generg. What actually really distorts the musical signal is everything that electrically codifies and processes that signal. The less of that stuff in play, the obviously empirically the better. I mean, you don't cascade five transformers into the middle of your design only because you can. And where an alternative between passive and active exists, the passive probably got the edge.

generg........??

Hi Generg!

But, I repeat ....... Overall clearest sound is still the thick film resistor solution......(I did not try bulbs)
Maybe the wattage or grip for my Tone Tubbies is a bit weak....there the MU gives more power.

Is these the kind you used: Vishay Power Thick Film 2 Ohm Resistors(25watt)

or is there others that is easier and with higher watt pr. resistor?

Best

Olav

Joined 2009
Paid Member
resistors vs. plain CCS vs. Mu (out from SIT drain ) , speaking strictly about Lowther part of presentation ?

than Varislope included in Mu .... :rofl:

:)
yes always keep in mind I play with Lowthers PM6A and Tone Tubby and at the moment I did not test CCS because that would demand changing my PSU again back to other voltages.
So my comparison is at the moment only the resistor (thick film) solution against the Mu with three different output nodes, after the SIT drain, in the middle of the resistor network (0,47/o,47) and at the source of the upper Semisouth.

The Mu might be a solution to drive more demanding speakers......

the plain solution Mike showed up to now is the finest sounding for less demanding situations ......

in my opinion, I hope we will hear more opinions here...:D:D

anyone seen this???

Hi all

Found this one - made in Germany - but how it will function in this amp?
I don`t know, and it is somewhat expensive - but then you need only one. Plus 1 or 2 small 50 watt in serie.

It is 10 ohm/300watt

Produced by: can`t say I know the name Type:BRQ-10R0-10-L

Best

Olav

Attachments

• effekt-MOT.jpg
    effekt-MOT.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 644
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi all

Found this one - made in Germany - but how it will function in this amp?
I don`t know, and it is somewhat expensive - but then you need only one. Plus 1 or 2 small 50 watt in serie.

It is 10 ohm/300watt

Produced by: can`t say I know the name Type:BRQ-10R0-10-L

Best

Olav
:D
Olav, I would go for the parts of Juanitox, do not know his price

or the parts i used, the price for a 14 Ohm chain is about 30 € for one channel + delivery fees and as juanitox told you need a heatsink at least as large the SIT sink...

I can order and send them to you if necessary.....:)

Hi Generg!

hi and thanks for the offer - kind of you, but I can get the resistors you have for around 300 euro(estimated) in Norway. That will be the same price as one of them i had a picture of in my last post. I just wondered if it was easier to mount the one I found on a smaller heat sink!
But as juanitox says - the heat sink will be as big as the one on the SK82. So maybe I will stick with something like you have generg!
I have slowly bought piece by piece now-but still a bit to travel. I Have found a heat sink that is 0.5 C/W that fit TO3-which is 150x125 mm-50 mm high. Same price as the resistorsload(nearly). But must negotiate somewhat with the WAF before I buy to expencive parts. Take one step at a time - getting fairly good bits and learning along the way.

And the Heat Sink you have for your resistense-chain generg is - how big? If I may ask?
:)

Thanks for all your input!!

Best

Olav