L'Amp: A simple SIT Amp

Thanks Michael & all...

Hi again.

No - and yes - I have two sources: Squeezbox Touch that feeds through a DacMagic. And a HD980 CD-player that also is connected to the DacMagic. So I run both through the B1. And I can run the pre-out from my HK980 which also is relative good. But I think the B1 is so good - so you really relieved me now Michael.

Just a couple of resistors and soon ready to go.....rock and roll!!!
:)

Best to all

Olav

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
One of the simplest ways to get rid of turn on thump is to put an inductor in the power supply. It resists a change in current, and so, turns on the power supply slowly. Result = no turn on thump. As a bonus, you get a quieter supply compared to a standard CRC. Start with 2mh, 16ga. Read the Zen articles.

Another way is to disconnect the speaker before turn on. And then are more complicated ways.

Hi thanks for that I still get the excursion when the amps have been switched on and then I reconnect the speakers :confused:
problem existed before the new caps.

Installed some new caps today,only one amp done at the mo
CIMG0545.jpg

Pass DIY Apprentice
Joined 2001
Paid Member
A "bleeder" resistor across the speaker terminals will discharge the big output capacitor, which is a good idea. You could try a 3W 100 Ohm, for instance. A bigger value will discharge more slowly / smaller value more quickly.

As far as turn-on thump goes, my low-tech approach is to install a shorting banana plug across the speaker terminals, temporarily shorting the output to ground for a few seconds during power up, then I remove it. I may have mentioned this in the text.

Also, see the Zen Lite article for an automated version of the same idea.

Is that fancy square thing a capacitor?

Last edited:
Hi thanks for that I still get the excursion when the amps have been switched on and then I reconnect the speakers :confused:
problem existed before the new caps.

Installed some new caps today,only one amp done at the mo
CIMG0545.jpg
For that you may also consider stabilizing and filter the PS with capacitor multiplier build with a power mosfet ( see Zen 2 ) , and apply a rather big capacitor to its gate to obtain a rather slow turn on of the amp an by doing so tumb free for the driver .
I also going to apply that to my Amp A for the reason that I believe my preferred version will be light bulbed and PS stabilized ( and I did some days with the current source ) .

:cool:

Pass DIY Apprentice
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Do I still require a bleeder resistor across the cap ?

If the amp is to be energized without a load connected, the bleeder ensures the cap is discharged a few seconds after power down, perhaps saving you or your speakers a shock. This is why Zen Mod suggested the resistor after you mentioned hooking up speaker cables post start-up. When a load is connected, the cap discharges through the load.

It's a good safety measure if nothing else.

Zen Lite

Last edited: