L'Amp: A simple SIT Amp

Well, I never imagined my friendly advice would be taken as a such an afront.

You were, of course, free to simply ignore it.

Wow, somewhere there's a huge disconnect. I think your work is a cornerstone for the SITs. If I've come across differently, it's a product of the internet, but not my intent.

I thought your papers were excellent. I'm trying to take a poll of sorts for ideas, my current default (as I told you in email) is your self biasing IXYS idea. If I can't find a better bet, that's my path.

The ONLY issue I have with the SITs is I don't want to make a mistake, and I don't have a feel for the devices, and I'm seeking advice from the well worn folks in the forum on the best path forward. I hope this is what the forums are meant for.

with the times you will learn that the best path forward don't exist , it's just compromises. michael prefer his inductor load version , generg his resistor version , someone else will be the CCS . build the Amp Sit 1 as reference it is very special! , from there you could juge if the others variations will be better or not for your needs;)

Pass DIY Apprentice
Joined 2001
Paid Member
That's awfully nice of you to say, but honestly I wasn't fishing for a compliment. I thought I had offended you, and I'm glad to hear I haven't.

I have advised a lot of people both here and privately to try the simpler versions first, not because I doubt anyone's ability but rather because I sincerely think it enhances the fun. :)

That's awfully nice of you to say, but honestly I wasn't fishing for a compliment. I thought I had offended you, and I'm glad to hear I haven't.

I have advised a lot of people both here and privately to try the simpler versions first, not because I doubt anyone's ability but rather because I sincerely think it enhances the fun. :)

Respect. You are very talented. Please keep doing what you're doing. I'm certain there are many who benefit from your work who are not as vocal as I.

Thanks generg.
I wonder why I havent seen anyone trying a configuration like I show below? ...I also still wonder what makes a mu-follower, a mu-follower, and what makes an SRPP, an SRPP?...

Tapping the output from the bottom Source R creates a 1/2 u stage...
Hey, I'm 1/2 way to understanding :D

Attachments

• SRPP.JPG
    SRPP.JPG
    14.4 KB · Views: 755
I've decided I will build this little amp to power some OB FR speakers. The speakers will be quasi-line arrays (either 2 or 4 drivers per channel). I will double up the circuitry in the amp and feed each amplification device from a single shared supply. Signal input to the amp will be via transformer output from my DAC, allowing a single-channel's pair of output devices to operate differentially. Each device will be connected on the output to 50% of the drivers, cross-wired relative to the other 50% to give proper phase response and noise cancellation. Device loading will be inductive.

A better application would be to drive both legs of a dual voice-coil differentially within a given driver. But I'm unsure I can get an appropriate dual voice-coil driver.

Last edited:
I believe in the begining of the thread, or in the articles you will find that info. The best is to use operating point paramaters, ie; 15Vds 2.5A or something like that. You will be putting some negative volts like -5 or so + or - a volt or so on the gate to acheive that... Check out the articles again, I think it's there :D

Michael
Great articles !!!!
I have been using my ZenLite as a amp for my Denon DH5000 headphones.
Just wondering if anyone has tried one of Michael's as a headphone amp.
Thanks
Bob

I have some lovoltech fets which would be ideal for a simple l'amp style build head amp rated at a couple watts output. I do not think cascoding ala zv9 will be absolutely necessary as long as pre or dac has low output impedance.

In MR's L'Amp designs, it has been suggested by some that a bleeder resistor one side going to the connection of the 10000uF cap where it attaches to the speaker the other side going to ground might be useful (as seen in many of the Zen amps).

Other have suggested a bypass cap in parallel to the 10000uF cap.

Thoughts?