L'Amp: A simple SIT Amp

Upss..the schematic didn't come through...

Attachments

• zen-v7.jpg
    zen-v7.jpg
    467.5 KB · Views: 724
michael do you have listened the hammond inductor version , before ordering i just want to be sure there is no signal noise problem with them as it was mentioned in previous post ;)

Probably one from me Michael. #569 juanitox?
I was doing a single ended choke loaded amp. Basically I just replaced the Aleph CCS with a 195T5, 100mH, .64DCR, 5A Isat, Hammond power supply choke.

Last edited:
Hey, Some time back I played with the ZenV9 circuit using a big Hammond choke load instead of Aleph. Actually, I think it worked quite well. But, 1 thing that it did do that is somewhat of a problem is it made physical, vibrational noise with signal. It was a frequency/amplitude sesitive thing (maybe started around 3k?) but, quite audible. I believe they were spec'd well enough for this amp (3-5A, .64 ohm, 100+mH IIR)
:confused:

Pass DIY Apprentice
Joined 2001
Paid Member
That question was in reply to Juanitox.

As far as a balanced SIT amp goes, there are several possibilties which could be explored including circuits similar to Balanced Zen Lite ZV7, etc. etc. I imagine any of them would be fairly easy (and perhaps educational) to cobble together and I'm sure everyone here would be happy to help if you get stuck.

Pass DIY Apprentice
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Assuming we're talking about physical ringing. yes, the 193V will "sing" when excited with sinewaves at a Watt or so starting around 3kHz and peaking around 8kHz. This can be heard a few feet away.

This isn't altogether unusual, and in fact, lots of things will "sing" when excited in this fashion: transformers, heat sinks, light bulbs, chassis, etc. I'm not sure it will interfere with your musical enjoyment, but if it does, there are a couple of options available:

1. Use the big air-core inductor, which also sings, though less audibly.
2. Build something else altogether.
3. Listen to music program at normal levels rather than pure sinewave excitations at 1 Watt.

Assuming we're talking about physical ringing. yes, the 193V will "sing" when excited with sinewaves at a Watt or so starting around 3kHz and peaking around 8kHz. This can be heard a few feet away.

You may also be able to eliminate the ringing by soaking the choke in hot wax. Make sure to leave it in the hot wax long enough for the whole choke to come up to the wax's temperature so the wax will fully penetrate.

This procedure not recommended for light bulb loads :D

Roscoe

Pa is sayin' - if you're making a choice between Aleph CCS and mu - be aware that SS R100 is having lower Ugs (than mosfet) and that's the reason that little bjt in Aleph CCS will be starved ; so - mosfet is preferable

further - in mu , there is no significant difference between SS R100 vs. mosfet , so neither one is preferable from tech/sounding point of view

off course - each of them demands different mu conditions ( values of source resistors)

Will IRFP240 work in mu follower from post #608?